Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Volvo XC60 v Kuga v Other?

(21 Posts)
whereiscaroline Tue 10-Oct-17 06:31:21

Wasn't sure where to post.

Currently got a small 5 door family hatchback. It's on an expensive PCP deal, and is too small for our needs (tall DP, 10 year old DS, Labrador).

I want to spend no more than £10k and get something which is reliable, with a good sized boot, but am nervous about buying used older vehicles with high mileage.

Could anyone give me your experience of a Ford Kuga or Volvo XC60 in terms of fuel efficiency and reliability at high mileage? Any other suggestions for a decent sized car within budget?

MayhemandMadness01 Tue 10-Oct-17 06:50:09

I have a kuga, great to drive, heated front window is fab, lovely car.

The auto trader app is good, use the advance search, we found our kuga on there, 2 yrs old, with just under 3000 miles for £15k from a main dealer.

JoJoSM2 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:03:56

Haven’t got either. However, in my experience it seems that once cars get past 5 years, there always seem to be little things or extra maintenance- £200 here, £300 there. A Volvo could be particularly expensive to fix as it’s a premium brand.

Having just had a quick look on Autotrader, you might be able to just about get a basic 14 reg Quashqai or Kuga for 10-11k.

I’d also consider a bigger hatchback - you’ll get the same space but pay less. I’m under the impression that there’s a bit of a premium for SUVs as they’re more fashionable. Eg things like Vauxhall Insignia or Skoda Superb come up at 11k and they have tons of space.

beela Tue 10-Oct-17 07:12:43

I love my skoda superb. It has the most enormous boot and loads of leg room in the back too. And it's nice to drive.

whereiscaroline Tue 10-Oct-17 07:18:37

I did have a look at Qashquais but owner reviews weren't great - might look into that again. Unfortunately we can't look at Superbs or Insignias as they're saloons so we couldn't put the dog in the boot. Hi

whereiscaroline Tue 10-Oct-17 07:20:42

Ignore previous comment, just seen they do estate versions of those cars! Not sure about the appearance of these but will add Skoda Superb to the viewing list, thanks.

toomanydicksonthedancefloor1 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:25:34

I have had 3 Kugas over a period of 7 years. I’ve loved them all. They have all been reliable, never had a breakdown, we bought them all at about 2 years old, with low mileage.

They’re lovely to drive. Perfect if you have children.

They also sometimes have great spec, my last one parallel parked itself, had keyless entry, leather seats, sat nav, that thing where you wave your foot under the boot and it opens.

buggerthebotox Tue 10-Oct-17 07:26:58

Just got a Hyundai ix30 for 10k on a 14 plate. Seems good so far!

somewhereovertherain Tue 10-Oct-17 07:30:21

2nd the superb.

We are looking at a Duster for our 2nd car.

Nearly had a XC60 when got the superb fantastic car also. I wouldn’t get another Ford as the local network is awful (company car so have to use a main steeler

somewhereovertherain Tue 10-Oct-17 07:30:46

Another one to add Skoda Yeri.

somewhereovertherain Tue 10-Oct-17 07:30:52

Yeti.

thunderpunt Tue 10-Oct-17 07:32:49

Can't beat a Hyundai ix35 - comes with all the extras, reliable, economic and value for money

Pippin8 Tue 10-Oct-17 07:38:18

I’ve got an XC60 as a hire car at the minute whilst mines in for repair.

I wouldn’t get one, yes the boot is massive, but it’s awful to drive, very tank like & heavy steering & the interior reminds me of a van.

For the same money, you could have an Audi Q5......

Chocolatear Tue 10-Oct-17 07:39:41

I have a Kuga, it's the first car I've ever been enthusiastic about. Lovely to drive.
A tank of diesel costs about £55 and I get about 500 miles from a full tank.
We drive to The French Alps once a year, very comfortable on a long journey.
I'll be getting a new one next year.

Sidge Tue 10-Oct-17 08:42:01

I’ve got an XC60 and I love it. I don’t have the same experience as Pippin, I find it light, responsive, comfortable, efficient and the interior is lovely - spacious and attractive. Maybe it depends which model you have?

The boot is huge (we needed a big boot for DDs wheelchair) and it’s very safe and sturdy.

Friends have a Kuga - I really like it, we looked at one but the boot was too small for us. It’s a good solid car and I’ve had quite a few Fords and loved them, found them very reliable.

WhatHaveIFound Tue 10-Oct-17 08:52:59

I'm on my second XC60 and haven't had any problems with either. Boot size is good and fuel consumption is ok unless DH is driving though we have the 2WD version. However both DC (15&12) complain there's not much legroom when we have the seats back.

PineappleScrunchie Tue 10-Oct-17 09:03:31

Not really similar to what you're considering so far but I have a Ford smax and dh has a xc90 and my car doesn't feel significantly smaller because you lose a lot of internal space when you get an SUV ime.

With the smax you can put seat 6 and 7 flat and then the middle row can move into their leg room. So more leg room in the middle row (which has three full size seats). Also with those back seats flat the boot is massive and quite square so would fit a large dog/crate.
I think it works better as a large 5 seater than a 7 seater.

somewhereovertherain Wed 11-Oct-17 04:21:07

Also remember the ford kuga/vw Tiguan/Audi q5/skoda karoki?/ seat something are the same car.

Unihorn Wed 11-Oct-17 05:05:46

As long as the used car has a reliable service (ie. cambelt change) and MOT history I wouldn't be put off by high mileage. Particularly with brands like Skoda and Volvo. We always buy used cars with 150k plus miles and have had no issues running them to over 200k plus for a couple of years. We generally look for diesel for this reason though (I know, environment, awful etc)

I've had my Skoda for 8 years now and it's great. I would definitely recommend the Superb or Yeti.

19lottie82 Wed 11-Oct-17 13:19:02

I've got a Skoda Yeti and it's fantastic!
My husband is a mechanic and a real petrol head, and he also loves it.

PoohBearsHole Wed 11-Oct-17 13:22:53

If you have a tall dh steer clear of the quashqai. Dh had no room in passenger seat and hit his head in the boot every time he opened it.

Then had a XC60 - easy to drive, comfortable and lots of space. Loved it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: