Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can my friend pay me back on their credit card into my account?

(12 Posts)
bumblingabout Mon 09-Oct-17 23:16:40

My friend owes me some money and asked if I would take a credit card payment? I have no idea if this is possible and feel pretty clueless! Is it just a case of me giving my sort code and account number as normal? I'm hoping there's no fees deducted!

Sorry.. I feel as an adult I should really know this..

Hugepeppapigfan Mon 09-Oct-17 23:17:59

I don’t think they can pay into your account with a cc but they could via PayPal. Make sure it’s a friends and family transaction.

Shylo Mon 09-Oct-17 23:18:19

No, she can't I'm afraid

She could withdraw cash from a cash machine to pay you but she really would need to be desperate to do this - the interest rate for borrowing cash is a lot higher than for paying for goods in stores

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 09-Oct-17 23:19:04

Yes, you can do it via PayPal, I did it recently. Think there's a small fee though.

Mxyzptlk Mon 09-Oct-17 23:20:08

PayPal is a good idea if she has her credit card linked to her PayPal account, so the payment comes off the card.

bumblingabout Mon 09-Oct-17 23:20:53

Ah thanks for the quick reply hugepeppapigfan! Would paypal not take a cut?? Does that mean it would come direct into my account? I know I've got a paypal account somewhere but haven't used it for probably 10 years!

bumblingabout Mon 09-Oct-17 23:53:38

Ah thank you so much to everyone for replying! I didn't think anyone would be awake, let alone be awake and looking at the money matters forum!

MaitlandGirl Tue 10-Oct-17 00:11:53

I know with 'friends and family' payments PayPal doesn't take a cut, but not sure if that's just for bank account payments or if cards are ok as well.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Tue 10-Oct-17 07:09:47

It's a credit card charge, the f&f bit takes off PayPals fee though.

Hugepeppapigfan Tue 10-Oct-17 08:05:00

Friends and family payment will mean your friend pays a fee but you won’t have a cut taken of your payment.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Tue 10-Oct-17 08:21:40

Ahh OK

bumblingabout Wed 11-Oct-17 15:50:01

Ahhhh interesting! Thanks for all the knowledge guys! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now