Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help, father has stopped paying maintenance

(4 Posts)
Joe101 Mon 09-Oct-17 20:38:18

Hi,
My sons father has recently stopped paying maintenance as he said he is no longer working and cant pay anything for our 14 year old son.
I have always had a private agreement and he has paid this apart from a couple of periods where he was out of work.
Now the situation I'm in is I have to take what he as told me on face value as I do not know where he lives, works or any of his friends.
His name is not on our sons birth certificate and he has never had him overnight and very rarely ever sees him (over 2 years now)
I've never involved CSA in the past.
I know he was working and also in receipt of a military pension for injuries sustained as a soldier.
My question is it worth the trouble of seeking child maintenance through CSA or will thy think it isn't worthwhile as our son has less than here years remaining in full time education.

LemonSqueezy0 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:22:20

They wouldn't make any judgement if you put in a claim. It costs £20 to open a claim and give them as much info as you can. Good luck.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 09-Oct-17 21:24:35

If he has always laid except when out of work a couple of times why wouldn't you believe him now?

Ask him if he can help pay for some ad hoc things he may needs, shoes, school trips etc until he is working again, so at least he is contributing something

Samesituation Mon 09-Oct-17 21:51:02

Has he said if he intends to return to work shortly? If so may be give him a month or so and see what his future plans are. If he is in receipt of benefits then CMS will tell you that. It will cost you £20 for an application to CMS. If you decide to go ahead with application, tell them he is in receipt of a pension it may be considered as a form of income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now