Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits for step children

(8 Posts)
mumof1000s Mon 09-Oct-17 11:09:00

I have two children who I claim tax credits for. My 2 step children are about to move in. Can I claim for them as well?

Babyroobs Mon 09-Oct-17 12:31:09

Yes as I assume they were both born before April 2017. I assume your partner is on a joint claim with you.

19lottie82 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:28:53

Sure, as long as they reside in your home.
If their mother currently claims for them though and doesn't wish to transfer it to you then you might have a bit of a battle on your hands though.

teaortequila23 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:34:43

It all depends on if they are at your house more then hers I think.
Call them and see they will let you know.
If she is claiming she will have to stop for you to get it.

mumof1000s Tue 10-Oct-17 16:49:44

They will be living with us not her, think she will Jane them 4 days a month

19lottie82 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:51:24

Will she be happy to sign over the benefits to you?

Isitwise Tue 10-Oct-17 16:52:24

Ring the helpline giving the children's names and date of births and give them the date that they moved in.

If someone else is still claiming for them forms will be sent out to both parties asking them to prove responsibility so it's important to change addresses at schools/gp etc.

You will need to do the same for child benefit too

gamerchick Tue 10-Oct-17 16:57:09

If you're claiming child benefit it should be simple enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: