Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How is this fair....benefits, what to do?

(21 Posts)
Carryover51 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:53:15

I've had my suspicions for items for the house, garden transformation including hot tub, 2 week summer holiday abroad, always going out for food, drinks with friends etc etc and today its been confirmed that working part time school term time only doesn't warrant such a high standard of living and that benefits are being claimed. So despite living with OH who works full time, getting a huge amount of money from her ExH she insists on claiming benefits as a single parent. I think it's disgusting and feel really sorry for people that are genuinely claiming benefits who are struggling with Day to day living. What do I do?

Auspiciouspanda Sat 07-Oct-17 21:56:33

0800 854 440 Benefit fraud reporting hotline

Mulch Sat 07-Oct-17 21:57:31

If you really care tell the authorities but I'd like to think people will eventually get caught by their own doing eventually

Babyroobs Sat 07-Oct-17 21:58:33

You can report anonymously online. There's to many greedy people doing this , makes me sick.

haveabiscuitor2 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:58:35

Mind you own business hmm

Vanillamanilla1 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:59:49

How do you know she claims as a single parent ?

Vanillamanilla1 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:02:08

It's none of your business and DOSEN'T affect your life whatsoever .. What do you do ? You do nothing , she will come a cropper eventually .. Or not .. You'll gain nothing from dobbing her in
Ignore and get on with your own life

Expemsiveuniform Sat 07-Oct-17 22:04:10

Maintenance isn’t counted for benefit purposes

I’m amazed at all the people on here who know so much about every one else’s finances.

haveabiscuitor2 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:04:24

I agree vanilla.
You do not know her circumstances and sound a bit jealous of her

Viviennemary Sat 07-Oct-17 22:07:14

Report her if you think she is fraudulently claiming benefits. It is theft of public money and is everybody's business IMHO.

SonicBoomBoom Sat 07-Oct-17 22:07:47

Hot tubs.

Of course!

RunningOutOfCharge Sat 07-Oct-17 22:13:05

How do you know this op?

Cheeky mare if she is doing it

How many kids?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 07-Oct-17 22:15:11

When did she volunteer this information?

Ohb0llocks Sat 07-Oct-17 22:16:33

Migraleve Sat 07-Oct-17 22:16:44

I'm not sure what benefits you think single parents get but they are not hot tub level payments hmm

Carryover51 Sat 07-Oct-17 22:17:38

I know because she told me, she was happy to share just how easy it was to claim and was boastful about what she had achieved from receiving the extra money.

RunningOutOfCharge Sat 07-Oct-17 22:19:45

How much extra?

Wishforsnow Sat 07-Oct-17 22:25:36

Report. It's just so depressing when so many people pay so much tax and there are people who take the piss. Like this or council subletting. But it's not liked on here you will get responses about flat screen TVs and goats.

FoxyinherRoxy Sat 07-Oct-17 22:31:32

Are you sure she isn’t entitled to her benefit claim?

If she works 16 - 30 hour’s on average a week she can claim WTC.
Plus child benefit.
Child maintenance isn’t included in the calculations.

The bit which may Be fraudulent is her OH living with her full-time as his main home.

Expemsiveuniform Sat 07-Oct-17 22:37:13

I’m a single parent and I’m receiving tax credits. I don’t get any maintenance and never have. I also work full time in a min wage job and don’t have a hot tub or a goat. I do have two flat screen TVs because that’s all I could buy when my old one went pfft and my dad gave me the small one he had for his caravan for my bedroom.

I want to know where I’m going wrong that I can’t afford a hot tub and a goat.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 08-Oct-17 20:20:14

It's none of your business and DOSEN'T affect your life whatsoever .. What do you do ? You do nothing , she will come a cropper eventually .. Or not .. You'll gain nothing from dobbing her in
Ignore and get on with your own life*

Bystander apathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now