Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ds's dla stopped, what happens?

(4 Posts)
loveisasecondhandemotion Sat 07-Oct-17 09:06:40

Hi, my ds is 14 and his 5 year award stopped this week, he has ASD.

I have re-applied ( stupidly left it until the last minute ) and am hoping it gets awarded again until he is 16 where it will transfer to pip.

I've already had a letter from carers allowance advising me that that will also stop.
I'm worried sick how I am going to cope as have rightly or wrongly become dependent on the money over the last 5 years and use it as part of the household budget.

I still haven't contacted tax credits but intend to. Everything stopped it adds up to more than £1000 per month.

I've had a text from DLA saying that they have received the claim and it could take up to 8 weeks to process.

Thanks

Babyroobs Sat 07-Oct-17 10:42:26

I think you will just have to wait until it's re-instated and then hopefully if it's awarded again, I think it would be backdated. I understand it's unfortunate that there will be a break in payments as it's a lot to lose DLA/ disability premiums on tax credits and carers allowance on top. It's always good to try and do the new forms asap to avoid a break.

planetclom Sat 07-Oct-17 10:48:17

Hopefully if you get the form through it will come through quickly it was only 10 days the first time I applied, but with my other son it was 3 weeks.
they send the forms in plenty of time, I had my sons about 4 months in advance for renewal. Check they have your correct address if you didn’t get it and take copies of the form incase it goes missing when you post send signed delivery.
Oh and phone for a form then you will get it back dated to the day you rang for the form just like the first time you applied.

planetclom Sat 07-Oct-17 10:49:16

Sorry missed the fact you had sent it in, luckily these benefits are quick, good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now