Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Not entitled to any benefits....disabled....

(6 Posts)
Differenceadaymakes4064 Thu 05-Oct-17 10:17:36

I've recently lost my job due to ill health and am not entitled to income based ESA because OH works and can't claim contributory based ESA because I haven't got enough NI contributions from a previous year. OH earns £19,000 self employed and don't qualify for tax credits. Only entitled to child benefit of £80 per month. I used to get Personal Independance Payment of enhanced but it then got downgraded to standard and in April of this year went down to nothing. Even though my illness has gotten worse and I've appealed. OH can't afford to support my personal bills and we have 1 LO, 2 step children who live with us 50% time. I'm searching frantically for a home based job however not having much luck. Can anyone suggest anything I can do?

lougle Thu 05-Oct-17 13:04:54

I'm sorry you're unwell. Why don't you qualify for Tax credits, if you have a child living with you? How old is your child? Has your condition worsened, and could you reapply for PIP, or ask for a reconsideration? Can you give an indication of your condition? It might help to give ideas of next steps.

Babyroobs Thu 05-Oct-17 17:38:12

On £19000 a year you won't be entitled to working tax credits but should still get child tax credits. you may have been turned down because a claim would initially be based on your previous years income which was higher or you may between you already have earnt over the threshold this year, in which case you can't get anything until the new tax year.
It sounds like you should just put in a new application for PIP. make sure you send lots of supporting evidence and if you get turned down again then get some help from CAB to appeal the decision.

Babyroobs Thu 05-Oct-17 17:39:25

If you got the PIP decision in April it is to late to appeal that decision - you have to submit a mandatory reconsideration within 28 days. You need to make a new application.

timeismovingon Thu 05-Oct-17 17:46:19

OP go to your local CAB office they will go through your benefit situation with you. However be aware that if you are in a Universal Credit area you will have to make an application for that.

wowbutter Thu 05-Oct-17 17:49:04

How old is the child living with you?

Are you in a universal credit area?
Have you done an entitled to calculation?

I agree wi other posters who say you should be able to claim child tax credits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: