Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Self assessment help

(3 Posts)
Mytimenow Wed 04-Oct-17 10:17:35

Hi, can anyone help on completing self assessment, DH needs to do one to pay back child benefit. As he is a 40% tax payer should he be claiming the additional 20% pension relief and how? His pension contributions are taken from his salary before he pays tax?

Squaddielife Thu 05-Oct-17 14:44:28

Have you registered to the government gateway online?
You can fill out the self assessment there and it will calculate for you.
I'm sure you can choose to either repay via PAYE next tax year (by them amending his tax code accordingly) or to have a bill.
There is a specific place on the form where you have to include the pension contributions but from memory it's not clear and my DH had to ring up and they explained it over the phone.

Badbadbunny Fri 06-Oct-17 11:07:21

If his pension is already taken from his pre-tax salary, he'll already have the full tax relief and there's nothing more to claim on the tax return. It's only where pension deductions come out of "after tax" wages that there's the extra 20% higher rate to claim.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: