Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HELP, doing a credit card balance transfer?! I'm clueless!

(8 Posts)
Hazysummerevenings Tue 03-Oct-17 09:13:05

I'm interested in this CC Card to do a balance transfer....https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/balance-transfer-credit-cards#halifax29

I would be moving £3,000 from my Barclaycard on to this...it doesn't say what the CC limit is for this card?? It also says you can move from a Lloyds account etc but doesn't say anything re Barclays? I am totally clueless when it comes to things like this, does anyone know if it would be doable?

Hazysummerevenings Tue 03-Oct-17 10:20:39

Also, I have £1,000 that I'm going to use to pay off some of my CC, would I be best to do that now on my old CC, or wait until I've transferred it over?

barbadoscalling Tue 03-Oct-17 14:26:21

Me too I want to move mine to an 0% interest

dementedpixie Tue 03-Oct-17 14:31:23

It depends what credit limit they offer you as to whether you can transfer the full amount. That will depend on how they credit score you. Barclays isn't part of the same banking group so should be ok for the balance transfer.

MickeyLuv Tue 03-Oct-17 18:58:59

If you have £1000 to pay off it then you may as well do that now, why wait and pay more interest? If the new credit card only gives you £2000 limit then you wouldn't be able to transfer the whole lot anyway.

TheBadTemperedLadybird Wed 04-Oct-17 09:59:43

It doesn't say because there isn't a 'standard' credit limit. Each lender will assess you based on their own credit scoring method. They will look at whether you're on the electoral roll, whether you have other cards; what your repayment history is like; whether you are up to the limit on other lending etc.

Generally when you apply they ask how much you want to transfer. they will then probably credit check you against this amount.

0% cards work like this: they give you a card. There is 0 (zero) interest payable every month but you MUST pay the minimum. If you don't the 0% period will end immediately in most cases. So set up a direct debit for the minimum. The amount you pay each month then repays the capital as there is no interest. Once the interest free period is over you will pay interest, unless you've cleared the balance. There is usually a fee.

Hazysummerevenings Thu 05-Oct-17 08:12:10

What happens to my old card then? The one I've 'paid off' is that still usable if I need it for emergencies?

dementedpixie Thu 05-Oct-17 08:28:10

Yes it will still be active unless you cancel it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: