Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Being made redundant- help!

(5 Posts)
whoami24601 Sun 01-Oct-17 20:14:14

Just that- I'm about to be made redundant. Have small children so assumed I would get income support, but apparently not. Also assumed I would get higher tax credits (which I will, but not nearly as much as I thought!) DHs wage should cover the bills (just!). Is there anything else we could be entitled to? I know I can claim jobseekers, but I really want to use the money and opportunity to retrain- I hated my old job! I just can't believe that after paying so long into the system, there's pretty much no help available for us! All advice appreciated!

Babyroobs Sun 01-Oct-17 20:29:18

The national insurance contributions that you have paid into the system entitle you to 6 months of Contributions based job seekers allowance. Income support is for lone parents with a child under 5. or carers. You will get tax credits to top up your household income and I'm afraid that is it. Redundancy pay is intended to help tide you over until you find another job.

Babyroobs Sun 01-Oct-17 20:44:51

And your paying into the system for years pays for millions of low income families like yours to get tax credits, so you are getting something back every week.

Rockchick1984 Sun 01-Oct-17 23:27:32

If you are looking into returning to education you may get assistance from student loans, you would also get 25% discount on your council tax if you are a full time student.

Alternatively if retraining wouldn't involve full time education could you work part time while retraining?

WiseDad Sun 15-Oct-17 23:05:52

Sorry to hear about the redundancy. Don't forget the first 30k of redundancy is tax free which should help. Not that I think you sound like you'll get that but fingers crossed I am wrong!

Contributions based job seekers sounds like your lot but I am no expert. They tightened up on the actively looking for work part and your retraining would be a problem. Are there any grants to help retraining. I know there were loans to help on fees way back when I did training.

Fingers crossed for you.

your paying into the system for years pays for millions of low income families like yours to get tax credits, so you are getting something back every week
But just think how much all that taking and giving back to the spasms people costs. Wouldn't it be better if people simply kept more of their own money to save and support themselves through difficult times?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now