Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone changed current account provider?

(13 Posts)
GoldenOrb Mon 25-Sep-17 13:43:42

Sorry this is such a dull post!

I have a current account that my wages get paid into, and my direct debits come out of.

However I'm not happy with the bank and looking to change. Is it easy to change current account providers, and do they automatically transfer over the payments in and out?

specialsubject Mon 25-Sep-17 18:30:21

That's what the switching service should do, although how well it works in practice depends on how awake the call centre is.

My switches have always worked. Look for a bank that gives a switching incentive.

Loopylind Mon 25-Sep-17 18:44:15

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.uswitch.com/current-accounts/how-to-switch-current-account/amp/

Have a look at this, if you haven’t already. I think it’s slot easier nowadays then it use to be.

Loopylind Mon 25-Sep-17 18:44:40

*a lot

glow1984 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:46:20

Most banks offer a switching service. When I went with Natwest, they moved everything over for me, I didn’t have to do a thing!

clownfaces Mon 25-Sep-17 18:46:58

Yes I have changed and am currently doing so again. It all went very smoothly. They moved all payments for me.
HSBC is currently offering £150 to switch and another £50 if you're still with them after 12 months, There are conditions. Have a look at Moneysavingexpert.

Loopylind Mon 25-Sep-17 18:50:39

Clownfaces is right MoneySavingExpert is a good site to keep an eye on.

4yoniD Mon 25-Sep-17 18:52:42

I was amazed how long it took to set up a new account (over an hour at the bank filling in forms plus three thousand supporting documents) and then some of my direct debits or standing orders just disappeared which caused chaos (and an argument with Specsavers who told me to my face I was a pain for purposely cancelling my direct debit for contact lenses and were sarcastic cunts when I told them it was the banks mistake... and breathe...).

Loopylind Mon 25-Sep-17 19:00:21

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/switching-bank-account

I thought it was now set in law?

dementedpixie Mon 25-Sep-17 19:04:21

When we switched to nationwide everything was switched over apart from a problem with 1 direct debit but that was the recipients fault as they didn't claim from the old details or the new ones and then tried to charge us for their mistake!

Ecureuil Mon 25-Sep-17 19:06:05

Yeah a few times, it's pretty simple.

somewhereovertherain Tue 26-Sep-17 05:57:19

Currently running 4 which I switch every so often to get the deals have had several hundred pounds in switching bonuses.

somewhereovertherain Tue 26-Sep-17 05:58:35

Very easy to switch no major issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now