Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Are bank transfers safe

(34 Posts)
tellow Mon 18-Sep-17 22:57:12

I bought something which I'm having to take back. The says they've already banked the money and will have to pay me back by bank transfer.

What details do I have to give them? Is it safe to be giving my details out to a complete stranger ?

PoppyPopcorn Mon 18-Sep-17 22:58:08

Depends who the "they" are.

Glowinginthedark Mon 18-Sep-17 23:06:44

Account number and sort code, it's safe

tellow Mon 18-Sep-17 23:34:44

'They' are just people who sold me something from their home through an add, I paid cash yesterday £30 and he says he's already banked it. Possibly spent it more like. Should I ask for a cheque? Not sure if giving out my bank details is safe, I try to be very careful.

SwedishEdith Mon 18-Sep-17 23:46:09

What could they do with your bank details (which are shown on your cheques)? Most (all?) online banking needs you security number as well.

kath6144 Tue 19-Sep-17 19:19:21

Why cant they just draw the money out of their bank and give you cash? Its only £30, not 100s.

There's nothing wrong in handing over sort code and account details but if they are insisting on a bank transfer, maybe they are hoping to say they did it and the money went astray or something?

rogueantimatter Wed 20-Sep-17 17:30:05

I think they sound a bit fishy. As a pp said, it's only £30.

delilahbucket Wed 20-Sep-17 17:35:02

I don't carry cash and don't often visit anywhere with a cash machine, so a bank transfer would be most convenient for me too. There is nothing wrong with giving your sort code and account number to this person. It is no less secure than paying someone with a cheque.

tellow Wed 20-Sep-17 17:49:48

How long should it take for me to receive the money in my account?

MongerTruffle Wed 20-Sep-17 17:51:17

How long should it take for me to receive the money in my account?

Usually the money is received immediately, although at busy times the bank is allowed to take up to 2 hours to send the money.

tellow Wed 20-Sep-17 19:10:08

I returned the item on Monday and still haven’t received my refund. I hate having to chase things like this up. Do you think I should give it a bit longer?

I’ve tried to keep my communication light and friendly with this person for reasons I can’t really go into on here.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 20-Sep-17 19:11:31

Instant, you won't see that £30 again.

Nuttynoo Wed 20-Sep-17 19:15:19

Some of the posts on this thread are scarily ignorant. You never give someone your security numbers for online banking, just your sortcode and account number and your name. It's not dangerous at all for people just to have that information, in fact it's less info that you'd normally give when shopping with a credit or debit card. You will also get the money within 2 hours if it's a faster payment.

MongerTruffle Wed 20-Sep-17 19:28:55

If it's a large company then they might be using BACS which takes up to three working days.

tellow Wed 20-Sep-17 19:36:38

It’s just a person selling something from their home. The item I’ve taken back was faulty and has apparently cost them £60 to repair. Not sure what my rights are now regarding a refund. Technically I never asked for one although I would of, they text me to say they would have to give me the money through bank transfer as all the money goes in there, seemed a little hard to believe they had banked it in such a short time.

gingergenius Wed 20-Sep-17 19:49:44

I suspect you've been had OP. A bacs transfer is usually instant!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 20-Sep-17 19:53:53

You needed to get them to do the transfer whilst you were there; as they are usually instant, and then you hand the item back.

Now they have the item and the money and no incentive to give it back. You could take them to the small claims court, but it probably isn't worth it for £30. Try a letter before action (google for template) to see if that works.

tellow Wed 20-Sep-17 20:38:38

It’s difficult when you are stood in someone’s front room returning something that was faulty, they asked for my details and I wrote them down. I’ve just text them asking if they’d had chance to transfer the money and if it takes a while to process. No reply as yet, all previous communication has been replied to quickly.

Mossend Wed 20-Sep-17 20:45:39

Everything Nuttynoo has said is correct. The only thing anyone can do with your sort code and acc no is pay money into your account.
They could in theory set up a DD because of the DD guarantee this is highly unlikely.
The money will be trf back into your account in less than 2 hours.

tellow Wed 20-Sep-17 21:22:36

They finally replied and said as I’m a new contact it could take 2hrs - 7 days, is this correct?

kath6144 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:51:51

Tellow, it is usually instant for such a small sum.

I regularly do small sums to new payees Eg small businesses and friends. I then check the money has arrived before doing a larger sum. I have never had a small payment not go through on the same day.

The only time I have had a transfer delayed was when I was paying some of mums inheritence to my brother. The transaction got paused for the bank to check I was happy with it, I think it took 2 days to go through. But it was thousands.

gingergenius Thu 21-Sep-17 16:58:48

Any joy, OP?

tellow Thu 21-Sep-17 23:58:48

Nothing has appeared in my bank account, should I keep hope or is it a lost cause?

gingergenius Fri 22-Sep-17 00:43:38

Suspect it's a lost cause OP. Keep trying if you feel you should, but you've returned the item AND they have your cash. I'm afraid they're in the driving seat and for £30 I'd suggest you chalk it up to experience. Bank transfers are quick but con-artists are much quicker!!!

19lottie82 Fri 22-Sep-17 08:37:53

Hi OP - I use bank transfers to pay people quite a lot and Even with a new contact it's usually instant, although it does state it can take up to 2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now