Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Average monthly installments on £120,000 mortgage

(17 Posts)
ronny123 Wed 16-Aug-17 19:19:36

Hi Everyone

I think I am paying above average each month on my £120,000 mortgage with about 15 years left. I do not have a fixed rate and pay approx £500 per month.

However, I have no idea what other people pay and my friends rent, so they can't help answer my question.

Can anyone please tell me what they you pay each month for a mortgage of around the same value, in particular if you have a fixed rate mortgage?

Thank you x

ihatethecold Wed 16-Aug-17 19:25:55

We pay £714 per month for a 15 year mortgage.
Ours was 123k when we took it out in march this year.
Fixed for 2 years low % but I can't remember what % it is.

Gizlotsmum Wed 16-Aug-17 19:27:01

We are getting (hopefully ) a similar amount ( 20 year term fixed for 5 years) and will be paying about £620

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 16-Aug-17 19:29:03

You need to enter your original term length, amount and interest rate into a mortgage calculator to check that it comes to the same as what you are paying.

If you are not on a fixed rate, you should be able to swap to another deal with a cheaper interest rate, subject to qualifying for a new deal, if your circumstances have changed, eg lower income, you may no longer qualify - you could be on your lenders SVR, which is often higher, but not always.

Have a look at the moneysavingexpert guide to remortgaging for a walk through guide. You may also benefit from talking to a broker to recommend a new deal - watch out for fees though, which can be high and £120k is a relatively small mortgage, even though it might not feel like it.

ronny123 Wed 16-Aug-17 19:30:22

Thanks Ihatethecold.

I took my mortgage about 10 years ago, so hopefully I might be able to get a really good deal, there's about £70k equity in the property.

KavvLar Wed 16-Aug-17 19:32:59

Ours is 110000 and we pay £675 per month. Fixed at 2.6%

ronny123 Wed 16-Aug-17 19:36:09

Cheers Gizlotsmum & BarbaraofSevillle

I have tried those mortgage calculators but they don't seem to work out right when I do them, so I though I'd ask for real life examples instead.

At the moment it seems I am on a decent rate but I forgot to mention I'm paying interest only at the moment.

ronny123 Wed 16-Aug-17 19:38:33

Thanks KavvLar

Maybe I'll have to stay on he interest only for a while longer, everyone seems to be paying close to £700 - but I'm not sure if they are newly taken out mortgages, which might make them a bit higher.

Gizlotsmum Wed 16-Aug-17 20:04:30

Ah yeah ours would be repayment

titchy Wed 16-Aug-17 20:44:36

shock at interest only. Please please please change to repayment as soon as you possibly can unless you have a sure-fire way of paying for your house in 15 years time.

ronny123 Wed 16-Aug-17 21:32:53

Titchy you're right.

It got complicated a few years ago when my last fixed rate ended - when I rang to take out a new fixed rate, the call handler made a gross error and said I wasn't eligible, as my house was in negative equity.

She was totally wrong as it was then and is now at least £60k in equity but she was using some in-house chart and said it cannot be challenged. Since then I was paying over the odds on a SVR.

A couple of years ago, I found out it was an erroneous decision and I could have challenged it.

I had to switch to interest only for a while because it was too high on SVR and it led to arrears as my income dropped - so it is a temp measure to reduce cost while I challenge the erroneous decision , that unfairly stuck me on SVR.

But although i'm challenging the SVR high rate I was paying which led to subsequent arrears, I'm also trying to find out what the average repayments should be; as I've been stuck in SVR so long and interest only, so don't have a clue what the real picture is out there anymore and my mates don't have mortgages (and I don't trust relying on just the lenders info this time).

I'm arguing I've been overcharged thousands due to being unfairly refused a fixed rate by error and wrong info. So, they might write off the arrears, as well as review my repayment rate.

Thanks for answering my question :-)

leccybill Wed 16-Aug-17 21:40:29

Ours is for £107,000 (house cost £120k) and the mortgage is £475 but we overpay. That's repayment over 25 years but the overpayments will reduce the term.

titchy Wed 16-Aug-17 21:40:32

Sounds a nightmare sad Once it's sorted though make sure any money they reimburse gets taken off your balance, rather than future interest payments.

Escalate to Chief Exec office?

pinkpantsrock Wed 16-Aug-17 21:44:03

£139k, 25 years, £571pm, think my rate is 1.75(ish) 2 year fixed
i have £350k equity.

ihatethecold Wed 16-Aug-17 22:19:31

Ours is repayment.
Op, you are definitely paying too much. Hope you can change to a repayment rather than interest only.

ronny123 Thu 17-Aug-17 01:00:53

Thanks guys, for your info and advice it has really helped me get a broad picture - I really needed an insight, now i know what to prepare for.

Titchy, good call, I will state any money has to come off the balance, cheers - I did contact the CEO's office and it is finally being properly handled and investigated, before then I was messed about for over a year.

Even if i'm successful with my complaint, there could still be problems - I've got some guidance now thanks to all of you on average repayment rates but I have no idea what revised figure they'll come up with or how affordable it will be.

Watch this space ;-)

calmanban Sat 19-Aug-17 07:23:04

We pay 1000 a month... repayment
123000 with 11 years to run

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now