Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pension help please!

(4 Posts)
Protegemo1 Sat 08-Jul-17 16:54:32

Sorry if this is a really dim question but.....

I've seen a job advertised as £x per annum + 18% employer’s pension contribution

How much would I have to pay into the pension to qualify for the 18%? Or do they pay 18% regardless of me paying anything in?

Sorry I'm used to pensions where you pay in the same as the company, but surely I wouldn't be expected to pay in 18% of the (pretty low) salary?

Tia

mydietstartsmonday Sat 08-Jul-17 16:59:58

It depends on the company. It could be anything from 0 contribution to matching % up to 18 %. That is a good pension contribution then most.

Okapoka Sun 09-Jul-17 12:57:39

Think you will just have to ask them.

DH's current employer pays up to 8% - matched, so DH pays 8% to get that contribution (he is now in the very fortunate position of having a pension pot big enough to stop paying into so doesn't bother going beyond the 8%). His previous employer offered 10% under the same terms.

My employer pays 17% (approx) and I pay 7.5% I think (employee contribution is on a sliding scale - I am PT so pay the least - think it goes up to 11% for those earning more). I do need to pay my 7.5% to get their contribution though.

Protegemo1 Sun 09-Jul-17 14:14:57

Thanks - guess I will have to ask them. The job would be a pay cut but a big increase in employer pension contributions so just trying to weigh it up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now