Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Splitting a taxi fare between 3 adults, 2 children - or leave out the kids?

(23 Posts)
Blump Tue 04-Jul-17 16:27:30

Hi, so as per the heading. We're planning on getting a taxi from JFK to our hotel in the summer. That's me, hubby, our 2 kids and my single sister. As there's so many of us we need a mini van which is $80 rather than a yellow cab which is $65.

Would you split the $80 between the 3 adults? Or split it into fifths, so my sister pays a fifth and we pay the rest?

Any opinions/advice appreciated. Thanks!

WheresTheEvidence Tue 04-Jul-17 16:28:34

I'd split the 65 between the 3 of you and you pay the rest of the cost.

thatstoast Tue 04-Jul-17 16:32:06

For the the sake of $15 dollars I'd just pay it all, ask your sister to sort out the tip.

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Jul-17 16:33:03

I think she should pay 1/5th.

However, if all 4 of you could go in a smaller taxi, then she should pay the difference.

Anotherdayanotherdollar Tue 04-Jul-17 16:33:27

It's only $15... Is it really worth the hassle?

paulankagilmore Tue 04-Jul-17 16:34:39

Jeezo good luck to you all if you're planning on eating out together.

DeanKoontz Tue 04-Jul-17 16:34:41

Oh my word, that's just the taxi to the hotel - are you having the whole holiday together?

ScarletSienna Tue 04-Jul-17 16:35:58

She should only pay 1/5.

TheChineseChicken Tue 04-Jul-17 16:36:19

Just offer to pay the whole lot

bimbobaggins Tue 04-Jul-17 16:37:58

I'd say everyone has a race to get in and whoever is left with the front seat pays. grin

Dawnedlightly Tue 04-Jul-17 16:43:56

Pay it all and ask her to get the tip, which is about $20 and would have to be paid whatever car you're in.
But also- unclench! It'll be an unbearable holiday if you micromanage all the finances for the sake of fairness. Rule of thumb- each household pays its own way as you are many and she is one.

bimbobaggins Tue 04-Jul-17 16:45:38

Exactly what dawn says

Ragwort Tue 04-Jul-17 16:50:14

How on earth are you going to sort out the rest of the finances during the holiday if you are such a stickler for 'fairness' hmm?

OhDearToby Tue 04-Jul-17 16:53:47

I'd just pay it all tbh.

AvoidingCallenetics Tue 04-Jul-17 16:55:59

I'd just pay it myself. Can't imagine being so picky over every penny with my own sister. I would imagine over the c9urse of the holiday, she will end up buying you alk drinks or ice creams for the kids. Unclench a bit smd you will have a better holiday!

FinallyHere Tue 04-Jul-17 16:56:09

What Dawn says.

Whose idea was it, for your sister to join the holiday? Is someone acting out their resentment, in making heavy weather of the first joint bill? For the sake of your sanity and a pleasant time on holiday, I would work out a strategy ahead of time.

Come to think of it, I would not knowingly go on holiday with anyone who ever thought about whether 1/5 or 1/3 would be fairer. I would find myself just paying it and would probably feel a bit of a mug.

RainbowsAndUnicorn Tue 04-Jul-17 17:23:00

I'd just pay it, wouldn't dream of asking for the extra for one single person.

Splitting the food bills should be fun if you feel children don't count.

BumWad Tue 04-Jul-17 17:29:01

confused

I think you should just pay and like somebody said upsthread get your sister to pay the tip

RandomMess Tue 04-Jul-17 17:33:17

I think and you DSIS need to discuss how to split costs between you for all likely incurred costs!

I suppose I'd say she pays the extra $15 and you go 50:50 on the tip but that assumes she is tagging on to your holiday rather than it already have been planned for the 5 of you...

ImperialBlether Tue 04-Jul-17 17:35:22

I don't think the OP will like this response. It's like the holiday home problem, isn't it?

AnnieOH1 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:35:30

Don't forget tolls on top of that, cabs are fixed fee plus tolls from airports but companies like supershuttle are usually including tolls. Xx

bimbobaggins Tue 04-Jul-17 18:09:52

Wow Annie your brave using that word on mn, I didn't think you were allowed to mention tolls wink

19lottie82 Tue 04-Jul-17 20:56:21

It's a lot quicker / cheaper to get the subway if you're going into manhattan. And it's really easy.

If you email your hotel they'll tell you where the nearest tube station is, there will be one within a block or 2 and chances are you will be able to get a direct train once you get off the express train from the airport.

Taxi can take up to 2 hours, most of which is stop start traffic and can sap your will to live by then end of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now