Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Renting with bad credit, help??

(10 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Fri 30-Jun-17 16:42:00

I've been renting for 8 years now. We last moved in Nov 2015 but need somewhere a bit bigger. We found somewhere and paid the deposit and £280 application fee (I know, right?!) but my credit is pretty awful, worse than it was when I last moved. I am in debt to Very by quite a lot, my electricity bill is in £500 arrears because they decided we weren't paying enough per month and we've been having an issue with our water company trying to tell us we used £600 of water in one month (in a flat where nobody is in during the day) so there's a debit on that account also. My partner's credit is pretty good, not perfect but above average at least. The letting agent has had all of our checks back and said she will have the decision in a few days which I feel like means we won't get the property. We can afford the rent, were given a glowing reference off our current letting agency and everything else but I feel like my bad credit is going to fail us.

What's the likeliness of this? Would they maybe take into account my partner has good credit over my awful credit? All the utilities are in my name and although they're in arrears, we're working on them and would keep the same companies if we were to move so wouldn't just be leaving debt behind.

My anxiety can't take the waiting lol on the application form it asked did we have any adverse credit history such as ccj's or bankruptcy which we don't so I put no but I don't know if I should have mentioned I don't have a good credit rating. I don't know how thorough their checks are. Most of my debts I pay off on time (loans etc) and have always paid my rent in full and on time. Will all of that mean nothing because of my other rubbish credit?

Scared247 Fri 30-Jun-17 16:50:37

I have heard that they can only check public info i.e ccjs not 100% sure on that though.

Will watch with interest as i will be in a similar position soon.

Electrolux2 Fri 30-Jun-17 16:53:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZaraW Fri 30-Jun-17 18:02:38

I let my property out to a couple. One has a good credit rating. However, his partner went into a voluntary payment plan and there is no way she would have passed the credit checks. They were never in arrears in their previous rental and had looked after the property really well. They offered to pay six months rent in advance and they are really good tenants. Hopefully you have an understanding potential landlord.

Scared247 Fri 30-Jun-17 20:08:57

How did you know she went into a payment plan? Did it show on her credit check was it a dmp or to do with ccjs? Did she tell you?

Tbf though i dont know many people who can offer 6 months rent upfront! Ive never missed rent even when ive been on my arse and always looked after properties never bothered my landlords and if theres any problems usually sort them myself. Its just so fustrating that landlords would want 6 months rent upfront for bad credit.

TinselTwins Fri 30-Jun-17 20:25:08

My electricity is also in arears due to them undercharging us for months, we rang and arranged a payment plan so now our bills are a little bigger until the end of autumn when the arears will be paid off, it is not on our credit record.

You should probably do a credit check and see for yourself what's on there, then take specific advice about how to deal with each issue, rather than just closing your eyes and crossing your fingers and hoping the EA doesn't find stuff/doesn't care.

If you KNOW what's on there, you can be proactive and go to the EA with explanations/show payment plans etc. But you really need to know what you're dealing with and which issue is/isn't on your credit record.

ZaraW Sat 01-Jul-17 06:36:51

Scared my letting agency told me. They offered six months I didn't request it. There were several people that were interested in the property maybe that's why they offered rent in advance. Anyway they are excellent tenants and I chose them as they plan to stay in the property indefinitely as the area has excellent schools for their son.

Scared247 Sat 01-Jul-17 10:45:21

Just been nosey here but was she on a debt management plan or was it to do with ccjs. Im interested because i didnt think they would know about dmp.

ZaraW Sat 01-Jul-17 11:16:13

I thought it was a debt management plan maybe she had ccjs as well but the letting agent didn't mention that.

Scared247 Sat 01-Jul-17 11:29:43

Thats interesting i was under the impression they wouldnt know that.

Looks like id better stay put until im out of mine then cannot afford to lose money been turned down because it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: