Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Changed to universal credit

(9 Posts)
alwaysstressed Tue 27-Jun-17 20:02:52

Hi everyone this is the first time I've ever posted a question on here, I usually just read everyone's advice. I feel I have to post tonight as I'm having severe anxiety about universal credit.
I have two dc and currently (well until 2 hours ago) claiming tax credits.
I called tax credits tonight to tell them about my partner moving in, the bozo on the phone told me that I now need to claim UC and that my TC claim was now closed!!! I was like ok... so tried to make a new claim online and was getting on kinda fine then the website kicks me out and now says its temporarily unavailable angry
Im freaking out coz it says it can take up to 5 weeks for a new claim to process and for money to come through. Ive been googling UC and all these horror stories pop up, I read one story of a woman who's been waiting for 4 months for any money! That's terrifying ive got a childminder to pay, bills, food I rely on my tax credits.
The tax credit guy says I'll get this weeks money then thats it!!!
Has anyone had any experience with Universal Credit?? Also will the amount of money be the same as tax credits obviously taking into consideration the change coz my partners moved in?? I think I just need someone to tell me it's going to be ok I could seriously cry!!

Babyroobs Tue 27-Jun-17 20:11:31

It should take about 5 weeks. I think if you are really struggling in the meantime you can apply for an advance which is then paid back gradually. The online application system will kick you out if you haven't completed in 45 mins ( I think ) so best to have all your information ready. I did a UC application for a client last week and it was all very straight forward so maybe you have just been unlucky.

alwaysstressed Tue 27-Jun-17 20:23:26

I keep checking and trying to log in again but it still says service is temporarily unavailable 😥
Its so rubbish it takes that long I really rely on this money

Babyroobs Tue 27-Jun-17 20:30:41

It is probably just a glitch in the system. if you are really struggling then I think you can ring up and apply or go to a job centre where people can help ( but check by ringing them first !).
Changing from a single to a joint claim with tax credit can take a number of weeks so you would have been left without money in the interim anyway whilst a joint claim was being processed , so a 5 week wait is not much different. Presumable your partner has a wage coming in , you will just need to prioritise bills and as I said apply for an advance if needed.

Shockedshell Tue 27-Jun-17 20:40:36

I work in housing and several tenants on my patch have switched to UC but it seems to be only single people in our area at the moment.
The tenants I have dealt with usually receive their first payment 5 weeks after submitting their claim providing everything is straightforward and all info UC require is provided.
If you claim Housing Benefit you will needs to provide UC with proof of your housing costs as UC will take over from HB as well.

Shockedshell Tue 27-Jun-17 20:42:45

Also, some of my tenants have been given a "hardship payment" if they've been struggling to manage whilst waiting for so long, I dont know what the criteria for being allowed this is but i do know it is paid back.

Babyroobs Tue 27-Jun-17 21:02:18

I'm not sure whether you would be eligible for a hardship payment / advance with (presumably) 2 wages coming into your household but it may be worth asking.

alwaysstressed Tue 27-Jun-17 23:19:26

Well I managed to get back into their website and finish the claim so fingers crossed everything runs smoothly from now on. I just assumed changing my circumstances would be easier than this.
Thanks for your replies folks I feel a little better about things now smile

Oldsu Wed 28-Jun-17 02:54:50

What on earth gives you the right to call someone doing their job and giving you the correct information a BOZO I am sorry your benefits may be delayed but that does not give you the right to call people derogatory names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now