Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Nice problem - how to spend 1k to celebrate 25th anniversary?

(7 Posts)
OldLagNewName Mon 26-Jun-17 11:48:46

DF and DM have just given us £1k for our 25th anniversary. Really wasn't expecting this, and have no idea what to do with it. We're lucky enough not to need the money for anything everyday and anyway I think they want us to spend it on something treat-ish.

We've just had a weekend away together, and the childcare is the main problem with more of those, rather than the cost. We did have a lovely time but I don't feel short of that at the moment.

I investigated taking the kids away for a shortbreak to Europe in Feb half-term or Easter and it can be done for 1k but not to places that we particularly want to go.

We're not really spa break people. I suppose we could do a CentreParcs weekend or few day, which we never have, but I'm not sure I think it's worth the money, even when I'm not paying.

I keep wondering whether there's some kind of little-and-often thing we could do. Babysitter and a meal once a month for a year? But then I think that's a lot of money to spend on just a series of meals out!

Any suggestions?

FinallyHere Mon 26-Jun-17 12:01:54

It may seem like a lot to pay for meals out, but some of our best family times have been on family meals in lovely locations, with great service so noone has to do all the work (as they often do for a family meal at home. Im thinking the wider family including grandparents.

While the next generation are toddler stage, a private room with a bit if extra space so they can bring toys and run about a bit without getting in the way of other people is brilliant and again, helps everyone relax and enjoy themselves.

When the whole family us together, is also a great time to arrange for a photographer to take a relaxed but posed picture, so you have a lovely memento of the event (and possibly the design f that year's Christmas cards too. Enjoy.

19lottie82 Mon 26-Jun-17 12:04:19

If you have enough friends and family why not have a big party?

TheCraicDealer Mon 26-Jun-17 13:11:55

I'd do something like this- glamping in tree lodges on a big estate with a cookery school, spa and outdoor centre. The kids would be talking about "the time we stayed in a treehouse" for years, whilst you'd be harking back to that massage and peace and quiet you had grin

OldLagNewName Mon 26-Jun-17 15:09:03

Photos is an idea and so is fancy glamping, thanks. We've already had a big party, which was fun. Luckily we're well past the toddler stage so breaks away actually are mostly fun...

Polyanthus Mon 26-Jun-17 15:16:41

Look at staying somewhere really special with the Landmark trust. We've had weekends in some amazing places - Hampton court (though I don't think they have the apartment that is right in the palace anymore)and a Martello tower for example. We've done that for a few significant birthdays in the family and had a brilliant time.

OldLagNewName Mon 26-Jun-17 16:06:55

Ooh yes, Landmark places. Always wanted to stay in one of the tower ones.

I think my basic problem is that I'm used to being frugal and everything we don't already do seems really extravagant. I need to give myself permission to be wasteful and extravagant but it's hard!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: