Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Rent unpaid

(4 Posts)
helplessneedy Thu 22-Jun-17 21:03:05

My landlord just called me, apparently my ExH hasn't paid the rent in two months.
My EXH lives with his girlfriend in another town, he still pays the rent. We are still married for legal reasons.
My question is what can the landlord do? I work full time and can pay the rent but I wouldn't be able to cover all the other monthly costs and we have a child who lives with me. Only the EXH is on the lease.
Can he kick us out? I haven't been able to get hold of EXH but he called me earlier and said he had paid and landlord is lying.
I don't know what to do

WateryTart Thu 22-Jun-17 21:10:13

Ask your ex to send proof that he's paid. The LL can and probably will start eviction proceedings.

specialsubject Fri 23-Jun-17 15:53:29

What can the landlord do? Evict you. It takes a while.

19lottie82 Sat 24-Jun-17 11:26:43

If you are two months behind on the rent your LL can issue a section 8 which is a fault notice to let you know he intents to regain possession of the property. If you don't move out after a set time frame (1 month? 2 months?) he can go to Court and ask a judge to issue an eviction notice. Then if you still don't move out he can employ high court bailiffs to physically evict you.

That's worse case scenario though. Speak to your exH and your LL and try to get the situation resolved. If your ex has paid he will have proof.

Are you claiming all the benefits you can? Does your ex pay maintenance (if they are his children)? If he's supposed to be paying rent instead of that then maybe best change it so the money is taken from his salary directly to avoid situations like this occurring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now