Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

IFA charges

(3 Posts)
rumred Thu 22-Jun-17 14:59:54

Hello all
I'm at a crossroads in my life and about to become self employed after a lifetime in the public sector.
I could do with a bit of advice about my pensions, AVCs etc. However I'm loath to pay £800+ for this. I have no salary currently (off sick) and my employment soon to be terminated on health grounds.

Anyone found an IFA who charges hourly? Do they exist? Or should I do more homework and sort it myself, if possible?

SmilingButClueless Thu 22-Jun-17 15:45:50

Some IFAs will offer an hourly rate, but bear in mind a typical hourly rate would be £120 - £200, and you'd be charged for research and report-writing as well as the meeting time. You wouldn't necessarily have to pay out of your bank account, the payment might be able to come from your pension - any adviser should be able to explain how this would work.

In terms of whether you need professional advice, it depends on how complicated your personal arrangements are, how much you know already etc.

If you're going to be self-employed, do you have an accountant? Some accountants also give financial advice or may be able to recommend an adviser.

rumred Thu 22-Jun-17 17:31:13

Thanks for your response smiling
Not too complicated I suppose and I could make more effort to understand. No accountant yet, still employed but end in sight. I'll redouble my efforts and see what I can do myself before I employ someone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now