Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Teachers Mat pay

(2 Posts)
user1497901887 Mon 19-Jun-17 20:56:35

Hello

Newbie here and a very stressed one!

Is anyone a teacher out there with the burgundy book plan?

100% for 4 weeks, 90% for 2 weeks and 50% plus SMP for 12 weeks before a drop to SMP for 21 weeks?

I am really struggling to get my head round tax and national insurance and also blooming student loan payments... does anyone have any advice/ help to give?

Thank you in advance smile

Love Lottie x

Fuzzy1bear Tue 20-Jun-17 09:54:49

Hi,

I have been on maternity leave three times as a teacher.
The percentages and dates you have stated are correct for the enhanced pay if you've been in you job for a year.
It's worth noting though that you can choose to just take statory maternity pay and get the additional part (50% for 12 weeks) as a lump sum of you choose to return to work, but it leaves you with nothing to repay if you do not return. I did this with my third child as I decide not to return to work after having her.
In terms of student loan if I remember correctly you will still repay that and national insurance whilst you are receiving the enhanced pay, although it may depend where you are in the tax year when you start your maternity leave. Pension payments come out throughout even on statatory pay.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now