Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Savings account - allocating 'pots'

(11 Posts)
Jetlagged1 Sat 17-Jun-17 17:11:13

Does anyone know of a savings account that allows you to allocate your savings into virtual 'pots' eg vets bills, holiday fund, xmas etc? Am trying to avoid having to open multiple accounts.

TeenAndTween Sat 17-Jun-17 17:14:27

squirrel.me/works

No idea what it is like but I have seen it advertised.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 21-Jun-17 09:20:36

I tried this sort of thing but decided I couldn't be arsed with the faff.

Just put all the money in one account and use a spreadsheet if you want to add up how much per month you need to save for each eventuality or how much you have saved up for vets/holidays/Christmas etc.

It all becomes a bit academic after a while because things happen at different times of year because pets do or don't get sick, car repairs cost a variable amount etc, so you can just either let your pot grow so you can cope with bigger expenses in the future, or if you've been lucky with the vets bills or car repairs, you can spend a bit more on a holiday or whatever.

SoThisIsSummer Wed 21-Jun-17 16:17:13

tins under the mattress, its what I do grin its worked really well and then a few bank accounts for other stuff. Its all seperate and wouldnt get pulled unless big emergency

SoThisIsSummer Wed 21-Jun-17 16:17:44

( I do pots DH does spread sheet) both work in unison though

IcelandicWarriors Wed 21-Jun-17 16:19:14

I have pots with Barclays. I have main account and 3 named pots. Transfer automatically once paid.

JigsawBat Wed 21-Jun-17 16:22:08

The B Banking account does this (through an app) - a more modern arm of Yorkshire Bank/Clydesdale.

I used it for a while but for some reason (I forget why) it wasn't as convenient for me as I wanted.

Before that, and again since closing my B account, I've always just had lots of different savings accounts open to use as pots.

HerBigChance Wed 21-Jun-17 16:24:50

Similar to others re a number of accounts, I just use a number of savings accounts in National Savings. You can open them in a second, name them what you want and see the overall total.

VanessaBet Wed 21-Jun-17 16:28:39

I'm with intelligent finance - I have holiday fund, kids savings and general savings

StrongerThanIThought76 Sat 24-Jun-17 18:58:36

I just have a number of different savings accounts. Manage them online and call them all different names eg car, christmas, holiday, new bathroom fund etc. I set up a monthly standing order for each - it works out as quite a chunk each month but I know that I'm not going to be skint in January after Christmas, or counting pennies over the summer holidays while I find the cash for car tax and insurance.

Jetlagged1 Sun 25-Jun-17 00:22:37

Thanks everyone. I think opening multiple accounts seems the way to go. It feels crazy that in the digital age you cant easily have 1 account and create virtual allocations for it. I currently save but need specific car, vets, xmas and holiday pots as they are the things that cut into my savings and I need clearer boundaries between them to better manage them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now