Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage free but in debt & no

(15 Posts)
user1497643032 Fri 16-Jun-17 22:09:20

I am posting this & hoping to get some advice pls because I don't really know what to do or think. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE ME. I cannot begin to tell u my entire life story or history.

I have got my own house outright without mortgage

But I am in debt, very very poor credit rating. So, can't get a loan- not even poor credit loan. I have one already.

Now, I need to raise funds to start a business for income.

What do I do? How can I raise funds? Thanks

ijustwannadance Fri 16-Jun-17 22:11:28

Sell house and downsize?

wannabestressfree Fri 16-Jun-17 22:12:39

Get a job and save up?

ImperialBlether Fri 16-Jun-17 22:13:07

Most new businesses fail within the first year. I'd be VERY wary of borrowing money to start a new business.

nannynick Sat 17-Jun-17 07:23:56

What do you do for income now?

Starting a business is a big step, can you take it very slowly - is it a hobby which is turning into a business? You don't want to borrow money to start a business, the risk of failing it too high.

Ellisandra Sat 17-Jun-17 10:56:26

Get a lodger. No tax to pay under rent a room allowance.
Use that income to pay off your debt and fund your business start up.
Preferably alongside a job until your business is viable.

user1497643032 Sat 17-Jun-17 13:17:51

Thanks everyone for your advice & suggestions

I was considering going into property i.e. Buying cheap, do it up & sell on at a profit. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO INTO PROPERTY.

Currently looking for a job but no luck without my nearly no work experience due to illness etc.

My lifetime DLA award stopped because i couldn't get my PIP back to DWP ontime.
So, I am really REALLY struggling.

ImperialBlether Sat 17-Jun-17 15:39:34

Don't even think of buying property to do up unless you have the skills to do that (electrical, plumbing, plastering etc.) You won't be able to afford to pay anyone.

How much is your house worth? Would it be possible to sell it and buy a cheaper one that's OK in your area?

BangkokBlues Mon 19-Jun-17 13:25:11

I was considering going into property i.e. Buying cheap, do it up & sell on at a profit. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO INTO PROPERTY.

Yeah you and a million others. This is not a good idea unless you have the resources to be a cash only buyer who can pick up things at auction and have skills to do the renovations yourself.

Get a lodger for some immediate income. Look for a job for a longer term solution.

EssentialHummus Mon 19-Jun-17 13:32:20

Don't even think of buying property to do up unless you have the skills to do that (electrical, plumbing, plastering etc.) You won't be able to afford to pay anyone.

^with bells on.

Ellisandra Mon 19-Jun-17 13:32:29

Time was, you could buy a property and in the time it took you to do it up (even badly) you made money because the market was rising so quickly.

My ex is a qualified joiner with building, plumbing and electrics experience. There's not a lot he cant do. Used to buy a house, live in it whilst doing the work, sell - and have a nice lifestyle with a two month travel break. Then start the next. He was never rich.

What skills have you got in understand the market, managing contractors (aka profit eaters) and selling?

It really isn't easy money.

user1497643032 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:09:07

Thank you all for all your suggestions & advice. They all make sense thanks

Oblomov17 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:25:01

Try and get a credit card? Certain companies do give them to poor credit customers. You use it and pay it all off immediately and it helps your credit rating get better.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 19-Jun-17 16:34:19

Raising funds to start a business is the last thing you should be thinking about to be honest op. You need to either sell your house and downsize, take in a lodger or two and/or get a job. Borrowing more money really really won't help you.

TinselTwins Sun 25-Jun-17 23:27:56

OP if you don't have the skills to get a job working for a property developer, you don't have the skills to be a property developer!

This isn't 2015! You can't just give properties a lick of paint and flip them any more!

You need good credit and money skills to be a property developer

AND all property developers I know who have lasted in the business have a trade background or estate agent background or both!

Property developing is not usually compatable with poor health OR poor credit ratings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now