Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Surviving on one person's wages!?

(5 Posts)
user1497176026 Sun 11-Jun-17 11:32:03

Not a mum, first time poster.

I'm 19 and live at home with just my mum who has just been diagnosed with bad Rheumatoid arthritis. She's been put on the sick and the doctor is talking about signing her off work all together. At the moment her work are paying her under £70 a week in sick money. I have a 16 hour contract and have been taking all the other extra shifts that I can get to bring more money into our home. I barely make £500 a month as it is and have somehow got to work out how to pay rent and bills. My mum doesn't seem to be worried but I've already started looking for a night job. Has anybody on here survived on a part time persons wages? I'm so worried we'll lose the house.
All advice welcome! Thank you.

user1471548375 Sun 11-Jun-17 11:36:18

Well sick pay should be at least £90 (rounding up) so your mum needs to challenge that.

LegoCaltrops Sun 11-Jun-17 11:39:11

I'd go to the CAB with your mum ASAP & ask them to do a benefits check.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Sun 11-Jun-17 11:44:04

You're only 19, you need to speak to CAB and work out how your mum can carry on on what she'll be given. The danger if you don't is that you'll end up living there for years because your mum will need your money.
You need to look to your own future and being able to live independently which won't happen if your mum relies on your income.

Babyroobs Mon 12-Jun-17 01:09:15

When your mum finishes work and her sick pay runs out then if she has paid enough National Insurance contributions she should be able to claim Contributions based ESA. If she can't claim that then she can claim Income related ESA. Your earnings shouldn't affect the benefits she can claim as you are a non dependent. Does your mum have a mortgage on the house or do you rent?
If her health problem is likely to be long term then she should look at claiming as disability benefit such as PIP ( personal Independence Payment) assuming she is under 65. if she was awarded this it ma mean she can get other help.
As pp says - get a full benefit check at CAB.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: