Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Letter from the compliance officer

(4 Posts)
HerRoyalFattyness Sun 11-Jun-17 11:03:42

I received this letter yesterday and I'm confused as to why they want to see me.
The only thing I can think of is to swap me onto universal credit. But why wouldn't they just say that?
Has anyone received a letter like this and know what it's all about?

I'm a single mum of 3 kids. I don't work at the minute, but I'm in college and I volunteer in a nursery 2 days a week. I also have a job interview for a different nursery on Tuesday. I told them all of this a couple of months ago (apart from the job interview bit. I don't know about that) when I had to go in because my baby is nearly 2.

Help me MN! I hate not knowing.

Roomba Sun 11-Jun-17 11:19:11

I used to work in a Jobcentre though haven't for several years now so may be woefully out of date.

Compliance usually deal with checking that people are still eligible for benefits, so if you're a single parent it is not uncommon to be seen by them regularly . They like checking if you have a partner living with you, or are doing any work that you haven't told them about. Nothing to worry about if you're not hiding anything, they just go through it all and get you to sign a statement confirming all is as you've said . Then if they discover anything like a cash in hand job or live in partner afterwards, you can't claim that you didn't know the rules. Sometimes their intelligence systems flag stuff up that isn't correct or relevant and it's easily explained to them.

The wording on this letter is different to that though - to tell you about changes which may affect you? If it was a move to universal credit I'd have thought that a normal advisor would do that interview.

I honestly wouldn't worry at all. It's unlikely to be anything sinister. You only need to worry if you get a letter from Fraud advising you'll be interviewed under caution IME!

HerRoyalFattyness Sun 11-Jun-17 11:25:04

Ah OK then.
Just wondering, I had my regular "get you back to work because your kids are growing up" interview a couple of months back. I turned up in the uniform I wear to my voluntary work placement. Could it be that? They also asked who has the kids on those days. I said my mum or dad have them while I'm at college at night and their dad has them when I'm at the nursery as they're his contact days.
Possibly they're just double checking that?

Star1990 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:18:39

Hello I was just wondering if you could tell me what happened in your meeting? I got exactly the same letter a few days ago and am so worried even though I can't think of anything I've "done wrong". Thanks 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now