Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

returning item - who does the responsibility sit with?

(6 Posts)
scrolling123 Mon 05-Jun-17 20:59:18

Hi all, some advice please!
I bought a conversion kit for a bike over the phone from a company i found on line.
Converted my bike and after a few days of use the motor stopped working.
Called the company and they advised me to send part of the kit back to them so they would check it, which I did, at my own cost via a courier company.
Courier reports that the item is delivered, however the company inform me that they haven't received it, and that the signature on the delivery note is not someone who works there.
it is an industrial estate kind of set up so i guess it is possible for it to have been delivered to the wrong warehouse etc.
Conversion company say that they have tried to locate the item but cant find it, I have had to chase them numerous times as they repeatedly fail to call back.
I emailed them today and asked how this was going to be rectified as we have done what we said we would do and what was asked of us, and they replied saying they had tried to raise it with the courier company but it might be better if I try because they are having difficulties getting through (i don't believe they have tried at all to be honest).
So i rang the courier company and they are going to investigate the mis-delivery and get back to me.
But what i want to know is where do i stand with this, and who is responsible?
Hope that makes sense!
Thanks in advance!
x

Rockchick1984 Mon 05-Jun-17 21:15:48

If it was you that arranged the courier then the company wouldn't be able to speak to the courier to find out what happened - you will need to deal with the courier yourself.

delilahbucket Mon 05-Jun-17 21:19:58

Legally, all you have to do is provide proof of return (which actually they should have paid for). See the consumer contracts regulations. The fair thing to do however, is for you to deal with the courier. They often won't speak to the recipient, only the sender.

scrolling123 Mon 05-Jun-17 21:42:28

yeah i get that, and thats fine, I've no problem dealing with the courier. But what if the parcel cant be located?

delilahbucket Mon 05-Jun-17 22:09:00

Then you will claim for the value of the parcel with the courier. Hopefully you insured it for its full value.

Buxtonstill Mon 12-Jun-17 17:04:06

Is part of the company name 'tricity' ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now