Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Income Support taken because PayPal took Money - Advice?

(7 Posts)
user1476968120 Wed 31-May-17 14:03:25

Im so heartbroken and physically crying because I don't know what to do. I really need advice.

Basically, For two months now, Paypal have taken £10 out of my account. The first month it said it was because I was 54p in debt to them.. I looked at my account,and turned out, I was, Fair enough, My mistake. I paid off the 54p and now I'm all clear. I don't owe them anything. However, They once again this month took another £10 for the same reason even though I can prove I paid the 54p off and that according to my paypal account, I don't owe them anything.

I now find out, that because paypal took £10 without me knowing, It put my bank account overdrawn and now my bank have taken £48 (for being over drawn for 8 days at about £6 a day charge) for this. Paypal have cost me in total this month £58!! Thats more than half of my income support.

I needed that money as my baby is due in 2 weeks and needed to get last minute things. I won't be paid again until he is here and I have £2 to my name until then, Because of this.

I contacted my bank and they said they can't do anything, even though paypal had no right taken the money which has caused this £48 charge. Im so upset!

I have cancelled my paypal account this morning to stop this from happening again, But, There is physically nothing I can do about getting this money back as doubtful paypal are going to reimburse me for the £48 overdraft charges even though they caused them!

Can anyone please give me some advice, I have no idea what to do :'(

Empireoftheclouds Wed 31-May-17 14:12:25

Your title is wrong. PayPal havent taken the money, your bank has.

Empireoftheclouds Wed 31-May-17 14:13:39

Posted too soon...
Assuming the problem is your income support has been eaten up by bank charges that is? It's a bit confusing to read tbh

However, you wouldnave been notified of charges prior to them coming out

user1476968120 Wed 31-May-17 14:15:07

No, My title is right.

The bank wouldnt have taken the money is paypal hadn't wrongfully taken money they had no right to in the first place. However, you offer no advice, So, Not much point commenting, was there.

user1476968120 Wed 31-May-17 14:17:23

I apologize for my rude response, As I say, Im quite emotional about it at the moment. Im two weeks to my due date, and your second message didnt come though until afterwards. Im deeply sorry about that.

Yes, the problem is that my income suport has gone on charges because paypal took money that they had no right to as I paid off the 54p in question last month.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 31-May-17 14:17:47

I'm sure there's something in banking about fair charges. Have a google - Martin Lewis is great at things like this.

£48 for 6 days OD due to a third party mistake is not a fair charge. But you need to be calm and factual to solve it.

Get your PayPal bank statements. If you can get an appointment with CAB asap and see if someone can support you through this.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 31-May-17 14:18:58

And I'm assuming PayPal account must have been £19.44 in credit if you only owed 54p? Will that not get refunded if you've cancelled?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now