Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Weekly grocery bills- how much is normal?

(37 Posts)
alim733 Tue 30-May-17 20:15:59

Hello
We are a family of 4. 2 adults and 2 kids (age 6 and 2). I spend an average of £100-150£ per week on groceries (we eat a lot of meat and I try to buy organic). Usually this is all an ocado weekly delivery. I feel the cost is too much - what do other families with similar age kids spend ?

Moanyoldcow Tue 30-May-17 20:39:22

We spend a hideous £150 a week for me, DH and 1 DS4. That includes toiletries etc.

I know we can reduce. Can you use a Lidl or Aldi? When we do the cost is nearly halved - it's just the time to do the actual shop that I find it hard to find.

Rockchick1984 Tue 30-May-17 21:38:08

We spend £100 total per week, of that about £60 is supermarket, £20 is top-ups, and £20 for a weekly take away. We eat meat at each meal, but I don't buy organic. Usually a mix of Aldi and Asda / Tesco.

tadpole73 Wed 31-May-17 10:41:32

We spend a total of around £100-£130 per week for 2 adults and 1 child (9yr old). We tend to go to ALDI once a week and then top up during the week with odd trip to Sainsbury's/butchers. I used to go to Tesco's once a week but I'd easily spend £150 per week plus

wendz86 Wed 31-May-17 13:53:48

I spend between £50-70 for myself and 2 children age 2 and 6. They eat all meals at childminder 4 days a week so i only feed myself 4 days then all of us 3 days.

SentientCushion Wed 31-May-17 13:57:54

I spend £70 a week for me dh and 2 cats. We buy everything in a weekly Tesco shop and if we run out we just have to wait until the next shop, since doing this we have stopped doing top up shops and saved ourselves about twenty pounds a week.

LavenderHills Wed 31-May-17 14:29:32

We are in rural France and budget €150 per week for DP and I (no kids, one cat!), which I think is equal to about £130. This is one big, weekly shop at a French supermarket chain, with top ups of milk and fresh pastry/baguettes at the tiny local store. There is no takeaway nearby and we don't go out to eat, so this covers all meals, snacks and a couple of bottles of wine. It also includes loo roll, toothpaste etc, but not fancy skincare or shampoo. I know we could reduce this, but we don't have kids yet and won't be able to live in France forever, so good food is a priority!

chopchopchop Wed 31-May-17 14:36:15

We spend a bit less than that for three of us, with one older child.

Might be worth looking at an organic veg box scheme, as that will save you money on that side of the bills (we eat mostly organic, but not that much meat).

NellieFiveBellies Wed 31-May-17 14:36:23

normal is whatever you can afford.
my budget changes all the time.
atm i do a main shop every month that comes to about £300 then there is about £40 a week for top ups and things i forgot.
plus the kids get 15 units per month each gluten free staples on prescription.

there are 4 of us, me, husband and a 16 & 18 old .

it's been double that, it's been half that. i know how to shop wisely when times are tough !

BluePeppers Wed 31-May-17 14:39:39

Two adults and two teenagers who eat as much, if not more, than me.

We spend about £120~130 now, up from £100 a few months ago.

I think it's quite a bit. But I suspect a quick supermarket swap would bring your shopping down a lot.

mizu Thu 01-Jun-17 20:24:47

Family of 4.
Two DDs 11 and 12.
Usually anything between £65-£90 a week.
Ocado or Sainsburys. No meat though. No alcohol either.
Simple meals too as we both work full time and I do the cooking and really don't enjoy it : salmon and brown rice, prawns and rice, spaghetti bolognaise with quorn mince, jacket potatoes, cottage pie - and repeat grin

MiladyThesaurus Thu 01-Jun-17 20:28:38

There is no normal - there's only what your budget does and does not allow and what you want to spend.

We spend about £150 a week I think. It's hard to say exactly as I don't just get a weekly delivery and I'll grab stuff in between big shops. That's fine for us but in the past we spent less because we needed to.

There are 4 of us. DH, DS1 (17), DS2 (7) and me.

Jaimx86 Thu 01-Jun-17 20:39:06

Just me and DP. I've just spent £39 on groceries for tonight to Saturday's breakfast (plus one person's lunch for Saturday) Only drink was a 35p bottle of water. I'm shocked every time I get to the checkout! Only 'branded' item was the bottle of Evian. Your weekly spend seems fine, although my next door neighbour swears she feeds 4 on £80 a week...

AndNowItIsSeven Thu 01-Jun-17 20:47:11

But £80 for four is more than adequate. I don't know how it's possible to spend so much for 7 days.

bunnylove99 Thu 01-Jun-17 21:29:02

We are 2 adults, one teenager one 6 year old. We spend about £90 on a weekly delivery plus a couple of top up shops, so about £150-£160 per week I would say. This includes toiletries, cleaning products etc, and almost all meals, as we take packed lunches to work and rarely eat out or go out for drinks . We do spent a bit too much on beer and wine right enough!

sarahkplus2 Tue 06-Jun-17 13:55:02

We are two adults and 2 kids (aged 11 and 7) we spend about £120 per week including the stuff for pack lunches. We do meal plan and find this saves money and means I can also take leftovers for work the next day.

wineandsunshine Tue 06-Jun-17 14:41:43

We are a family of 6, 4 x DS (you know boys eat a lot!) and spend about £140 per week.

I meal plan and buy a weekly shop of £100 - then top up on day 4 which lands on a weekend of another £40ish.

I could probably cut it down - fizzy for DH and cake for me grin if we wanted to!

InDubiousBattle Tue 06-Jun-17 14:50:21

We spend around £100-120 a week for me, dp and 2 ds (almost 2 and 3.5)but that goes up if we have people over.

Badders123 Tue 06-Jun-17 15:21:53

We spend the same op
Ds1 eats a staggering amount being a teen
Ds2 is veggie
Dh and I try to eat well
When you add in cleaning stuff and toiletries it all mounts up

Mumslet Tue 06-Jun-17 20:42:20

Surprised not to see any frugalists like us posting thus far. £25 a week tops - for two adults. No booze or eating out, few desserts or brands, some home grown veg and fruit. Mainly own-brands and a freezer full of short-dated clearance stuff.

We love our food, eat well and varied, but find a 25p tin of soup with toast just as filling and enjoyable as the aromatic Hoisin duck noodle ready meal the day before. There are so many 'basics' on offer, it's not hard to eat for a pound a day.

With a third of household incomes apparently below outgoings, we can't imagine why more don't try. Maybe pride, maybe it's never occurred to them? Bargain hunting is also great sport - you feel like you've put one over on The Man. And you enjoy spending what you saved elsewhere.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:51:01

We spend between £70- £150 per week on a main shop (depending on what has run out/ any extras like bulbs or hoover bags). Then we might spend £50 a week on top ups.

DH, me and DS6.

We could spend less, but that is how we have cut our cloth- I think, from seeing inside friends' fridges etc, that is it pretty middle of the road.

robomum40 Tue 06-Jun-17 21:15:33

There's me, 3 DS, 13, 16 & 18 & my DD 6, I normally spend about £120 a wk in Sainsbury's delivered (probably be less without some of the crap I buy!) that's cleaning stuff & toiletries too though, plus milk when we run out or more than likely a couple of bits I forgotten. I always seem to look at it & think how did that cost so much & what I should be buying. Drives me mad & I always end up beating myself up for buying 'treats' 😒

BrianCantsPants Tue 06-Jun-17 23:56:18

Me, 4DC (14, 12, 10 & 8) plus 2 cats. I spend between £65 and £90 a week in Aldi for all of us for a week. That's a hot dinner each night and snacks for the school breaks. Kids qualify for free school meals so sometimes just eat a sandwich for dinner (well the 8yo does, the others still want something cooked). On a £90 week that's washing powder, toilet rolls, dishwasher tablets, cat food (10kg bag) etc.
When I used to shop in Tescos it was easily £160 a week shock

I've spent a year living on benefits and we have had to really tighten our belts but it's interesting just how cheaply we can eat.

We usually only have one bag of food waste too, mainly potato peelings

Havingahorridtime Wed 07-Jun-17 07:23:41

We spend around £130 each week including top ups (2 adults, 2 teenagers and a toddler). That includes all cleaning stuff and allergy free foods for 2 people )including M stuff for packed lunches). We rarely buy alcohol as we can't afford it. We don't have takeaways and we rarely eat out.
I don't understand those who think that this is excessive because we don't eat extravagantly. The allergies are expensive to cater for - oat milk for example costs much more than cows milk and gluten free bread is horrendously expensive but even without the allergies our shopping bill would be over £100 every week. Teenage boys are bottomless pits though.

NormaSmuff Wed 07-Jun-17 07:27:19

About £85, for a family of 5, although amount actually eating every night varies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now