Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I am paying off a debt but I don't know any of the details, like who I'm paying and how much I owe. Is there anyway of finding out?

(7 Posts)
WhenTheDragonsCame Sun 28-May-17 14:58:33


I got into a lot of debt years ago when I was married and then my circumstances changed and I found it difficult to make my repayments. CAB sorted out a repayment plan which I have been paying since.

The name on my standing order is CSL but when I contacted the company by email they replied saying they didn't have an account that matches my details. I have no information about it as my old laptop stopped working and my email was hacked so I deleted it and set up a new one.

I have checked my credit score and there is nothing on there about this debt. I don't really want to cancel my standing order and make my already appalling credit score even worse.

Is there anywhere else I can go to get this information?

Thank you.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Sun 28-May-17 15:01:52

Have you asked the bank?
They had a contact number for a payment I was making.

WhenTheDragonsCame Sun 28-May-17 15:07:24


No I haven't. I will give that a go on Tuesday, thank you.

PhuntSox Sun 28-May-17 15:32:25

Would CAB have a record?

WhenTheDragonsCame Mon 29-May-17 22:41:28

PhuntSox I wouldn't have thought so as it was over 7 years ago and I live in a different city now.

strongandlong Mon 29-May-17 22:44:48

CAB will still have a record. Your local branch could help you track it down.

Your bank should be able to help though and that would be probably be quicker.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 31-May-17 15:54:30

I actually would stop the standing order especially if the company says they haven't got an account in that name. Pay the same amount into a savings account until it is sorted. If you still owe anything they will soon chase you for it.

It is possible that you have cleared the debt hence that is why they have no record of you but that as it is a standing order it is for you to cancel rather than for them to stop collecting (as it would be if a DD). The money is probably just sat in a suspense account somewhere waiting for you to say "oi I have overpaid you!"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: