Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How will lump sum affect tax credits?

(5 Posts)
MyMorningHasBroken Sat 27-May-17 20:31:27

Hi, I've been separated for nearly 2 years. I work, get tax credits and childcare and have the 3 children with me. H sent me a lump sum (actually his bonus for this year).
I've talked with an adviser online tonight but he said I need to talk to someone on Tuesday as he wasn't sure.
Anyone had any experience with this?
I put £6000 in a savings account and was planning to pay off bils/debts with the rest.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 27-May-17 20:32:50

Ps, I have put the money away for the children, not myself. I'm unsure what his motives were but am fully assuming it's for the children.

HipsterRaccoon Sat 27-May-17 20:34:20

As far as I know it makes no difference to tax credits unless you earn more than £300 interest pa. Once things change to universal credit more than £6k will reduce your award.

ems137 Sat 27-May-17 20:35:02

Would this payment not fall under "child maintenance"?

In which case tax credits don't take it into account.

MyMorningHasBroken Sat 27-May-17 20:39:27

Would the rest (I kept out to pay bills, childcare ect) been seen as savings too? It's in my current account atm.
I don't know if it would, would he need to specify if it is child maintenance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now