Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits (again!)

(25 Posts)
McDougal Fri 26-May-17 16:00:14

I was wondering if anyone could advise.

Our tax credit payments increased by £20 per week following the start of the new tax year. I imagine this was due to DH's employer confirming his income.

My query is that if we are due this amount now when there has been no change in income (actually was a couple of hundred more than estimated), will we be due a payment from last year?

All of the calculators work out at the amount we're currently getting but the system confuses the life out of me so hoping someone could help.

TIA

McDougal Fri 26-May-17 16:02:44

Not sure it matters but I've just completed the renewal online, confirming the info already held by HMRC, from DH's P60.

stillawakeatthishour Fri 26-May-17 18:07:55

I'm also wondering this as same has happened to myself

McDougal Fri 26-May-17 18:24:05

Glad it's not just me still!

On last year's finalised award letter, it did state next year's (so from April this year) would be £20 more but no explanation as to why.

On the renewal received today, it seems like next year will be going down so I have no idea what's going on!

McDougal Fri 26-May-17 18:58:50

Bump along with apology for the overuse of exclamation marks blush

Bobbins43 Fri 26-May-17 19:00:15

I have no idea how tax credits work at all. The whole thing is so confusing

singymummy Fri 26-May-17 19:21:41

The tax code has changed from 1100L to 1150L

Not sure about tax credits tho

McDougal Fri 26-May-17 19:44:57

Would tax codes affect tax credits?

As I'm currently a full time student, I've transferred the marriage allowance to DH but didn't think this affected anything else?

NinaMarieP Fri 26-May-17 19:52:01

My fiancé is a tax credits advisor and says you will potentially get an award of monies from last year (but obviously without seeing your exact circumstances he can't make any promises). You should find out in about 8 weeks once your renewal has been processed.

McDougal Fri 26-May-17 19:54:13

Thanks Nina. I've spoken to an advisor on live chat who was nowhere near as clear as your post smile

stillawakeatthishour Fri 26-May-17 20:08:25

Thanks nina. If we were owed any money would we have received it by now?
I have no idea how it worksconfused

NinaMarieP Fri 26-May-17 20:08:59

No problem. Hope you do get the money! smile

McDougal Fri 26-May-17 20:10:19

Me too. Hopefully 52 weeks worth of underpayments grin

NinaMarieP Fri 26-May-17 20:10:42

If it's the same scenario stillawake, you have to do a renewal before you'd get any money (and wait the 8 weeks).

Bobbins43 Fri 26-May-17 20:17:31

I get less money now that I am not working then I did when I was working. I'm not sure how it all works at all. I just sort of nod and hope they get it right

stillawakeatthishour Fri 26-May-17 20:35:54

Thank you nina for answering i am on autorenewal so they said no need to reply unless something needs changing, which it doesnt.

NinaMarieP Fri 26-May-17 20:41:54

Auto renewals won't be processed until 31st July but you may then get back dated money. Again, without him having looked at exact details he can't say for sure. But it's possible.

McDougal Mon 29-May-17 11:58:42

Just checked online to see if there were any updates and payments have gone down by £11 a week.

Does anyone know if this will be due to them processing my renewal? If so, it's very quick and I'm hoping a back payment lump sum will be due.

Does anyone know how accurate the calculators are? I'm hoping as I did it at the start of the tax year with correct figures, they can't be too far wrong confused

tshirtsuntan Mon 29-May-17 12:03:40

I'm always confused by it but there's a really good explanation on the gingerbread website, it gives a hypothetical situation and shows the calculation.

McDougal Mon 29-May-17 12:07:57

Thanks tshirt. I'm hoping it goes in my favour which might be ambitious with tax credits!

McDougal Mon 29-May-17 12:32:33

And it's now saying renewal complete shock

Does anyone know if extra payments show online? At the moment, it's looking like our new payment is a one off as both have N/A next to them.

McDougal Mon 29-May-17 12:46:57

Just spoke to them via online chat and there is no back payment due at all but they are retrieving an overpayment, pushing our payments down for two weeks.

I would love to know how we can receive £20 less per week on the same income. Predicting an overpayment next year angry

user1495397864 Mon 29-May-17 16:27:00

I had my tax credit reduced by £245 & working tax credit of £47 stopped. I was not expecting it at all & I am now in serious financial turmoil. I don't even know what to do or how to sort out this big mess right now.

McDougal Mon 29-May-17 16:30:18

Is it due to an over payment? If so, you can ask that they take it back gradually but it depends on your household income as to what percentage they take back.

I've spoken to someone different on online chat who was really helpful so might be worth a try?

Lollipopslife17 Mon 29-May-17 22:08:22

Thanks McDougal, I had called them last week and I was told to fill some form online. The form is long and complicated as they want to know all the figures. Filling the income is simple but expenses is a nightmare 😡.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now