Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credit Check re. son at College

(11 Posts)
Woowoo98 Wed 24-May-17 21:39:40

Had a letter from Compliance Officer at Tax Credits wanting within a few weeks:

* letter from his college proving he was on a non-advanced educational course in the last tax year (he was)
* proof he lives with me (I've got his bank statements & polling card)
* his NHS medical card
* evidence I get child benefit for him

Along with the letter was a scary sheet saying they can fine £3,000 if they find I've given incorrect information.

Why have I been singled out?? My son's currently on a Level 3 diploma course & will be starting a degree in September (which I'm over the moon about as he's autistic)

I'm struggling to sleep worrying about this ... 😔

Babyroobs Wed 24-May-17 22:05:52

I doubt you have been singled out it's probably just a routine check. Lots of kids this age drop out of education and start work or apprenticeships so they just need to check that you are still currently entitled to claim.

Babyroobs Wed 24-May-17 22:07:48

If you know you are entitled to claim them please don't lose sleep over it, just send the evidence they want. Unfortunately when you receive benefits like this they are able to demand proof of entitlement every now and again.

Woowoo98 Wed 24-May-17 22:32:32

A PIP claim for my son (he has epilepsy, autism & chronic anxiety) was successful in February - should I have told Tax Credits about that?

I'm stressed because apparently these aren't random checks & they only write to you if something's wrong. Even though I can't think of any problems I'm still worrying.

Woowoo98 Wed 24-May-17 22:33:39

Level 3 courses are further education not higher aren't they?

Babyroobs Wed 24-May-17 22:34:41

Well having a PIp claim would increase the amount of tax credits you get as you would be entitled to the disability premium, but I expect you were previously getting DLA before so you were most likely already getting that element?

MycatsaPirate Wed 24-May-17 22:37:00

Don't worry, it's FE, not higher and you are entitled to claim as long as he is 19 or younger!

If it helps, Tax credits contacted me twice last year asking for all of DP's time sheets, six months apart. It was a bloody headache having to keep sending everything in but they left us alone after that. We had done nothing wrong but sometimes I think they just randomly pick people and do a spot check.

Lessthanaballpark Wed 24-May-17 22:37:28

The PIP shouldn't affect things if he's still in higher education and living with you.

I'm sure it's just a random check.

LovelyBath77 Thu 25-May-17 11:13:17

Yes, to telling them about the PIP as it may increase the award- if he gets enhanced care. It sounds like it is fine so don;t worry.

Lineyy Fri 26-May-17 19:05:15

Yes, you'll get more money because he receives PIP. Please tell them asap.

lougle Fri 26-May-17 19:32:53

Don't worry, just send the evidence in. We were selected for review a few years ago. It was a pain, but once we sent our evidence they very quickly thanked us and closed the case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: