Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Petty (online) cash for nanny

(19 Posts)
Faith7777 Mon 22-May-17 12:53:45

Hi,

I'd like to add my nanny as an additional card holder so she can charge expenses as they come up (of course all must be related to my children). However, she's live out. Any suggestions as to how to resolve this?

I'd rather she used electronic means as it's difficult to track when it's raw cash.

Carolinethebrave Mon 22-May-17 12:55:18

Can you get a Go Henry card and have one for your nanny?

Carolinethebrave Mon 22-May-17 12:55:38

www.gohenry.co.uk/

Ragnar Mon 22-May-17 12:56:35

Or a monzo card that you top up, shows exactly what is spent where

AndNowItIsSeven Mon 22-May-17 12:57:05

Why can't she use cash and a note book? Don't you trust her?
What if she wants to buy some ice creams from a van or fruit at a market?

KatyBerry Mon 22-May-17 12:59:33

cash and notebook is more usual, unless she's buying all their school uniform / other large items of expenditure, in which case I'v given a blank cheque made out to the uniform shop

ImperialBlether Mon 22-May-17 13:00:52

You'd be mad to give someone a card unless there was only a very limited amount of cash on it.

NannyR Mon 22-May-17 13:07:11

We keep a purse in the kitchen drawer that my employer tops up whenever it's running low - I use that to buy milk, bread, ice creams etc. I usually keep receipts if we spend a lot (e.g. if we have a day out in the holidays) just so she can see where the money's gone if the purse is suddenly down £30, but she trusts me enough not to need receipts for everyday expenses.
Whenever I need to buy uniform or pay class fees, she just leaves me her credit card and pin (not sure if this is legally ok though?)

AndNowItIsSeven Mon 22-May-17 13:19:02

Exactly Nanny R if you are trusted with the dc you should be trusted with money.

MrsNuckyThompson Mon 22-May-17 15:52:04

I tend to agree that a cash kitty works best. We just ask our nanny to pop receipts in the purse and of course understand that some cash will be spent with out receipt (parking, ice cream etc etc). When going on a bigger day out I'd just lend her my debit card.

As someone else says if you trust her with your kids you really ought to be able to trust her with your money!!

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 22-May-17 15:55:10

Henry tells my employer exactly where I've spent the money and when so it's not like I can go on a spree with it! If I need to take cash to pay for stuff that doesn't take cards I just text to let her know. I find it way easier than cash and a notebook. There are a lot of expenses.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 22-May-17 16:00:25

Yeah good luck with telling your bank that because you trust the nanny with the kids you trusted her with your bank account hmm It's right in the terms and conditions that you will not share your card and pin with anyone else.

Money and children are not the same thing.

We had a cash kitty for day to day stuff and didn't bother with receipts for small stuff. That's where the trust came in. Anything larger than a pre-pay card as suggested above is a great idea.

FataliePorkman Mon 22-May-17 16:04:03

It's crazy that people seem to trust their Nanny with their DC but not their money hmm

We have had nannies in the past OP. Usually they just used cash but if she needed to make large purchases they were trusted with the housekeeping card.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 22-May-17 16:08:13

Perhaps when you've dealt with as many frauds as I have you get a bit cynical. Or real.

People often don't have the same emotional attachment and guilt with money as they do with people and especially children.

Giving people access to large amounts of money needs careful considerations and controls to protect all parties. That's just sensible.

DoubleHelix79 Sat 27-May-17 19:12:57

Please be aware that if you give your card and pin to someone else then the bank will consider you negligent in case of fraud. You will be fully liable for any spending incurred by that person, even if you did not authorise the fraudulent transactions. I would not hand out a bank or credit card to anyone.

Mummmy2017 Wed 31-May-17 16:22:48

Think the cards you top up and can log online to see where it goes are good, as it gives her money, you can top it up in an instant in an emergency and it allows her to get some cash, but it does mean she has no access to more than you want her to use.

EssentialHummus Wed 31-May-17 16:26:54

Another vote for Monzo card, DH has one and it's great.

Squiffy01 Wed 31-May-17 19:39:12

I absolutely hated messing around with money, remembering to write everything down (and having them never look at it cause they trusted me) it was a complete waste of time. My current job I have a work credit card, I'm live out too but it is registered to work address and has my name on it. Think it is linked to theirs.
There is also a bit of cash always in the cupboard, stash of coins and a couple of notes if we are going somewhere like playgroups that need a donation.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 02-Jun-17 07:44:20

I've always had a credit card for work as a nanny. It's under their account in my name and I've always lived out

Have cash kitty for small things M&T - ice creams - car park etc - but anything else goes on a card. Petrol. Food shopping. Haircuts Entrance fees etc

It always amazes me and makes me a bit hmm that people say you would trust someone with your child as a nanny but not your money ......

op - get a card for your nanny. You Obv trust her with both child and money smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now