Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Electric issues

(6 Posts)
Racheljones405 Mon 22-May-17 11:31:14

I'm desperate for some help and could do with advice from people who can look at my issue from my perspective and not someone impartial. Let me give an overview...
We sold our house and moved out last year in may. When I left, I submitted final reading and our final bill was paid with British gas. We had contact with them about 8 weeks ago to say they hadn't closed our account because we were in credit, so they were going to credit the £60 back then close the account fully.
A few weeks ago, we racieved notification from our bank that an unaranged overdraft was agreed, which we didn't understand. We checked the account and found a payment going out of £629 to British gas.
We raised a complaint and put an indemnity claim in with the bank, who stopped the payment going out.
Since then, we have been getting calls and emails from the debt collection team. My husband explained to a caller the situation, however they spoke over him the whole time and he ended up hanging up on her because she wasn't listening.
We had a response to the complaint since, telling us that a dispute was made by a 3rd party so the readings were altered in April 2017. This is 11 months after we left the house.
I've spoken with citizens advice this morning, but because they have to remain impartial, they can only advise based on my meter reating being potentially wrong.
I know that the people who bought the house did some renevation work so didn't move straight in. My suspicion is that they submitted readings when they did move in and I'm now being charged for their usage.
The advice I've been given basically says that I'm going to be liable unless I can provide evidence, which I don't have. The father of the buyer is a soliciter a played games to get money knocked off all through the buying process. I just worry that this is another of his money schemes, because I threatened to take the house off the market if they continued to mess around.
I'm so stressed right now. I have two young children. I work full time as a nurse and my husband is away in the military. I don't know what to do next.
Has anyone had any success resolving a similar issue?

specialsubject Mon 22-May-17 21:29:07

You submitted readings on leaving so this is a massive cockup. Start the formal complaint procedure with British gas and then go to the ombudsman if no joy.

Twitter is also a good place to get attention, stupid as it is, but go through the hoops first.

pinkpantsrock Mon 22-May-17 21:39:46

go to energy ombudsman the decision is binding on BG:

Do you have your read history? if not ask BG for it, you can then prove that you ave daily consumption is not in line with final reading

Racheljones405 Mon 22-May-17 22:27:54

I've had a response today and they have been really good actually. I got them to check the last few readings and they realised the numbers didn't stack up.
They are going to re-enstate the reading that I gave so we don't have to pay any more.
Taught me to always take photos in future. I'll can't believe how stressful this whole thing was!
Thank you for your advice. X

specialsubject Tue 23-May-17 13:49:41

Sounds promising - who needed all that?

Hopefully sorted but keep records.

Welldoneme Wed 24-May-17 22:28:19

It's easy to say this but ideally you need to take photographs of the meter when you leave these days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: