Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

2nd Birthday!

(8 Posts)
TheAwkwardMother Sun 21-May-17 09:46:50

I really didn't know where to put this. I'm currently planning my DD's 2nd birthday. I always over spend but this time I want to get her a main present, a couple of small things then essential clothing. What would you get your DD for their 2nd birthday?

MrsBadger Sun 21-May-17 19:30:14

If you usually overspend then make a real effort not to this time - she's going to have a birthday AND Christmas every year for the foreseeable future and you'll end up in debt.

I don't buy clothes as presents unless it's something unnecessary they really want (dd(9) wanted a denim jacket); I buy basics either when they need them or in sales and put them away to grow into.

Why not just get her the one main present she'll really enjoy, saving yourself stress and money, and avoiding setting her up to expect piles and piles of presents every time?

MrsBadger Sun 21-May-17 19:34:30

(I've checked the photo album - when dd was 2 we gave her a chunky wooden dolls' house and when ds was 2 he got a 'guitar like daddy's', which was actually a cheap ukelele.)

Ecureuil Sun 21-May-17 19:38:07

DD2 is 2 next month, she's having a mini micro scooter. Nothing else from us, she will get some presents (not loads) from friends and family.
I don't want her to have expectations of piles of presents, and also I don't want birthdays to just be a crazy unwrapping (and discard) fest. Plus there are a lot of years of birthdays and Christmas' left, and they'll only get more expensive!
Genuine question, why are you giving easential clothing as a birthday present? Just so she has more to open?

Ecureuil Sun 21-May-17 19:38:53

Oh and DD1 got an ELC keyboard for her second birthday.

Notreallyhappy Mon 22-May-17 06:32:32

At the end of the day your dd is 2,, she'll not totally understand 1 or 10 gifts..only because mummy and daddy are saying lots of lovely presents etc.. get her a nice pressie but reign it in if it puts you in a bad financial position

TinselTwins Thu 25-May-17 19:53:47

My kids get 1 present from each family member for birthdays. Only do extra bits as well as a man present at christmas for their stocking/santa

TinselTwins Thu 25-May-17 19:54:55

Trust me, the more presents they get the less they enjoy each present

It's actually not fun when you do full class parties and they get too many presents.

The less overwhelmed they are with presents the more they can focus on and enjoy what they get!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now