We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity allowance help.

(15 Posts)
Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 12:12:37

I was working in a care home (residential but heavy lifting) from April 2015 to November 19th 2016, I left my job and became pregnant a week later so Im due in August 18th (first child). My area doesn't really have any easier care work options so I didnt apply for more work and I wasn't eligible for any money from JSA due to my OH income which averages £250 a week which £125 goes towards rent each week. I received a small inheritance at the start of the year which I have been living on and buying baby things £2000. I budgeted so that I would have enough until the 26th week. I've done a few calculators and they keep saying that I am not entitled to any money besides my OH paternity pay, Is this right? I now owe rent due to unforseen flu on my OH part so borrowed money from my MD....Im getting a little freaked with our bills/debts etc we have more like £70 pwk...Is there really nothing I can claim? I am not actually qualified for anything but care and no one will hire me since Im this pregnant...(look so pregnant). The easier care jobs involve driving and I cannot drive.

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 12:31:58

Im reading through the government guidelines and I just do not understand it at all.

RedHelenB Fri 19-May-17 16:18:24

There is normally a period of time that you need to have worked 26 weeks within. However, as you have stopped work before you t pregnant it seems likely you won't be eligible.

LIZS Fri 19-May-17 16:22:50

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

You'll need to work out if you were employed for 26 weeks within the relevant 66 week window.

Babyroobs Fri 19-May-17 17:00:40

What type of work were you planning on moving to when you left your job?

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 18:45:34

I was still planing on care but I was planing to start looking again in jan (I was going on holiday and then looked after my dying grandad he died in dec) which is when I found out I was pregnant, so when I found out I was pregnant I decided to focous on getting my self employed buisness ready for after the baby was born which I didnt want to start before as mat pay is really low and I wsant ready. its the 66 week thing that I found confusing I left on 19th nov 2016 (started april 2015). I dunno if I should just hedge my bets and try and push the self employed thing sooner, after alot of effort I think Im eligiable for £64 towards rent a week but useually they wont pay you the full amount.

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 18:46:02

Been trying to contact CAB but the poor guys are so busy.

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 18:48:13

after doing the maths i think Im 10 weeks short...I might be able to do it if I started working immediatly until 2 weeks before the baby is born :/

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 19-May-17 18:49:26

You will get tax credits and child benefit when baby is born. Then within three months of birth ( and your TC claim IS in place you can claim a sure start maternity grant of £500).

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 19-May-17 18:50:55

Also why didn't you apply for contributions based jsa?

Babyroobs Fri 19-May-17 22:37:09

Seven - Can you get contributions based JSA if you have volutarily left a job?

Firstimefreaked Sat 20-May-17 00:34:58

I'll have a look at contribution based jsa my partner when he left work (before he started new job) wasn't eligible but I might be because I worked the tax year?

LIZS Sat 20-May-17 07:37:53

If you left the job voluntarily you wouldn't be eligible for get jsa for up to 6 months and again you need to have worked so many weeks in the specified period to qualify.

Firstimefreaked Mon 22-May-17 12:52:23

I can't get contribution based jsa as I didn't work there for two years ffs.

LIZS Mon 22-May-17 16:52:12

You don't have to have been employed by them for 2 years, just have paid sufficient NI during the preceding 2 years. Maybe you haven't though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now