Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity allowance help.

(15 Posts)
Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 12:12:37

I was working in a care home (residential but heavy lifting) from April 2015 to November 19th 2016, I left my job and became pregnant a week later so Im due in August 18th (first child). My area doesn't really have any easier care work options so I didnt apply for more work and I wasn't eligible for any money from JSA due to my OH income which averages £250 a week which £125 goes towards rent each week. I received a small inheritance at the start of the year which I have been living on and buying baby things £2000. I budgeted so that I would have enough until the 26th week. I've done a few calculators and they keep saying that I am not entitled to any money besides my OH paternity pay, Is this right? I now owe rent due to unforseen flu on my OH part so borrowed money from my MD....Im getting a little freaked with our bills/debts etc we have more like £70 pwk...Is there really nothing I can claim? I am not actually qualified for anything but care and no one will hire me since Im this pregnant...(look so pregnant). The easier care jobs involve driving and I cannot drive.

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 12:31:58

Im reading through the government guidelines and I just do not understand it at all.

RedHelenB Fri 19-May-17 16:18:24

There is normally a period of time that you need to have worked 26 weeks within. However, as you have stopped work before you t pregnant it seems likely you won't be eligible.

LIZS Fri 19-May-17 16:22:50

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

You'll need to work out if you were employed for 26 weeks within the relevant 66 week window.

Babyroobs Fri 19-May-17 17:00:40

What type of work were you planning on moving to when you left your job?

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 18:45:34

I was still planing on care but I was planing to start looking again in jan (I was going on holiday and then looked after my dying grandad he died in dec) which is when I found out I was pregnant, so when I found out I was pregnant I decided to focous on getting my self employed buisness ready for after the baby was born which I didnt want to start before as mat pay is really low and I wsant ready. its the 66 week thing that I found confusing I left on 19th nov 2016 (started april 2015). I dunno if I should just hedge my bets and try and push the self employed thing sooner, after alot of effort I think Im eligiable for £64 towards rent a week but useually they wont pay you the full amount.

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 18:46:02

Been trying to contact CAB but the poor guys are so busy.

Firstimefreaked Fri 19-May-17 18:48:13

after doing the maths i think Im 10 weeks short...I might be able to do it if I started working immediatly until 2 weeks before the baby is born :/

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 19-May-17 18:49:26

You will get tax credits and child benefit when baby is born. Then within three months of birth ( and your TC claim IS in place you can claim a sure start maternity grant of £500).

AndNowItIsSeven Fri 19-May-17 18:50:55

Also why didn't you apply for contributions based jsa?

Babyroobs Fri 19-May-17 22:37:09

Seven - Can you get contributions based JSA if you have volutarily left a job?

Firstimefreaked Sat 20-May-17 00:34:58

I'll have a look at contribution based jsa my partner when he left work (before he started new job) wasn't eligible but I might be because I worked the tax year?

LIZS Sat 20-May-17 07:37:53

If you left the job voluntarily you wouldn't be eligible for get jsa for up to 6 months and again you need to have worked so many weeks in the specified period to qualify.

Firstimefreaked Mon 22-May-17 12:52:23

I can't get contribution based jsa as I didn't work there for two years ffs.

LIZS Mon 22-May-17 16:52:12

You don't have to have been employed by them for 2 years, just have paid sufficient NI during the preceding 2 years. Maybe you haven't though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: