Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ppi

(5 Posts)
Sounbelievablydull Thu 18-May-17 13:07:20

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but please be patient.
I think we probably do have a claim for ppi but no longer have any paperwork as evidence.
A company has asked do to this for me but will claim 30% plus vat
Is this excessive?
Of course if left up to me there will probably be nothing as I'll never get round to doing it but should I look around?

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 19-May-17 09:58:39

PPI companies do nothing - they can only act on information you give them, so you tell them you had a loan with Barclays for example and they stick a stamp on an envelope and ask Barclays to check if you had PPI.

If you know the name of the lender, go to their website, find the complaints section and you should find a link to a PPI form, just fill it in the best you can. It's fine to put 'don't remember' to any questions.

Remember, not all PPI was missold, but it is up t the bank or credit card company to check and these days they are extremely helpful.

I have made 8 claims so far (for genuine reasons, I was terribly mis-sold by various banks and lenders) and had them all upheld. It will take you about ten minutes and you will get to keep any refund, it's so easy!

I will help if you get stuck on anything.

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 19-May-17 10:03:22

Oh and can I just add, don't be taken in by the claims firms adverts that say they do all the legwork and checking - honestly, there is no legwork. The claims firms want you to think they work hard on your behalf - they don't.

Actually, I suspect there may be a scandal involving claims firms one day.

Sounbelievablydull Fri 19-May-17 10:15:59

Oh that's really helpful,
I'm going to try looking myself as you suggest
The problem I have is we had multiple car loans over the years directly from the manufacturer so I have no idea who the lenders behind them would have been

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 19-May-17 10:24:37

*Oh that's really helpful,
I'm going to try looking myself as you suggest
The problem I have is we had multiple car loans over the years directly from the manufacturer so I have no idea who the lenders behind them would have been*

Neither would any claims company, there is no 'database' and they have no special powers to access your financial data, only what you can tell them.

Google is your best bet, do some digging around, MSE is also very helpful, take a look on the PPI forum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now