Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank account options for a SAHM

(8 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Mon 15-May-17 08:42:58

No judgement or yelling about financial abuse please - it's material for another thread.

Basically I'm SAHM, no income of my own, all credit related stuff is done on DH's income and his name these days. He's not financially abusive as such - just mardy at times and it stresses me out and makes me feel miserable (most stuff does this), and so my mum's wanting to use the money she was paying for the kids' nursery fees to pay to me to give me a small pool of money I can fritter at will without dealing with the grumps sometimes. Also want somewhere I can pop some of my Paypal money I make selling things because I don't like leaving a huge chunk in PP.

Getting my old pre-married bank account back and active is proving to be a pain in the arse so I'm wondering if I can apply for one of those basic bank accounts without a steady income so I've got somewhere separate to pool my money that has no overdraft facility but the ability to take in payments from paypal and other bank accounts and a debit card.

Is this viable? Does this even make sense considering I've been up since 3.30am with the kids!

Theworst Mon 15-May-17 08:50:05

flowers

I managed to open a normal current account with nationwide. I had to state my income when I didn't really have any income but the person in the branch helped me put something down. I didn't want an overdraft facility which helped. I also starated using my old bank account again. It might be easier than you think.

The basic bank account used to have strict criteria which you might not meet. You are probably better going for a normal account.

windmaker Mon 15-May-17 09:00:06

It is pretty easy to get a basic bank account - no strict criteria really, and I don't think they run a full credit check. You can put down your child benefit/tax credits as income (although it is never checked so you can put anything really). Pretty much every bank will have a version and they all have debit cards and accept incoming payments. I can recommend Nationwide or Barclays.

I would recommend applying for a normal bank account first though, just because the basic accounts don't have the opportunity for a cheque book, I occasionally have to ask DH to write cheques for me as all my accounts are basic accounts. You can request to have no overdraft. Usually if you don't manage to get a normal account then the bank will offer you a basic one. Many banks just let you apply online and run an ID check immediately so you can get an account number within a few minutes if you're approved.

flirtygirl Mon 15-May-17 10:35:26

Hiya, a basic bank account doesnt ask for an income amount paid in each month and you can often say that you just like an extra account for online transactions or your holiday spending etc.

Halifax, nationwide and barclays are very good and they are easy to open with two types of id required.

All accept dds, standing orders etc but you have no overdraft or chequebook.

Tesco account was great with high interest and no minimum monthly pay in amount required but they have recently changed it but it may still work for you.

LBOCS2 Mon 15-May-17 11:19:13

I had a basic bank account with Barclays. The only PITA thing about it was that I had to go in branch to open it, but after that it was plain sailing - I used to use it for my 'fritter' money. It had a visa debit card with it, but there was absolutely no facility for an overdraft, even unauthorised - your card would get refused in the shop if there was nothing in the account! After having it for about 3 years they changed it to a standard account - they obviously felt that I was financially trustworthy enough at that point. I would recommend them (their app is very easy to set up and use too).

LovelyBath77 Wed 17-May-17 19:46:31

I have a basic bank account with the Co-op bank. It's pretty good, you can do online banking and has a debit card. I got it due to having some debt in the past, it doesn't have an overdraft, and if you go near your balance it just rejects the payment, rather than accepts it and gives you a charge.

MiaowTheCat Thu 18-May-17 09:39:19

Managed to get my old current account turned off inactive status to get things sorted - thanks for the helpful comments here. They've even managed to sort out the mess they'd got into where they'd half changed stuff into my married name and half not got round to it!

MiaowTheCat Thu 18-May-17 10:46:34

Oh and added bonus - I found £20 in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now