Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you claim income support when ssp runs out?

(6 Posts)
imsodizzy Sat 13-May-17 15:46:21

I've been on the sick from work for a while and my ssp has run out. I know you can claim esp when this happens but I'm anxious about the whole process and having to jump through hoops, have an assessment and I could still get turned down. I'm currently still employed as I'm waiting for a further assessment with occupational health but I have no income, I've looked at income support and I am a single parent of a toddler so I could qualify but I don't know if I can claim it under these circumstances or if I'd have to formally leave my job? Probably a stupid question but I have no idea when it comes to claiming benefits.

B3ingB3ige Sun 14-May-17 11:15:28

I believe if you have worked for the company for over 2 years they have to keep your job open until you can return (they cannot keep the job open forever). So you would need to find out how long they intend to keep your job open

If you are unable to return I believe they may make you redundant due to medical reasons. So you would need to find out how much they would pay you.

I would ask your employer what they can do to help you

Alternately, you could ask your employer if you can work part time or have a phased return to work, like working reduced hours for x amount of weeks

Is there any way that you can go back to work even one day a week ?

I do not think that you can claim benefits if you are employed (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

B3ingB3ige Sun 14-May-17 11:20:05

Secondly, if you are still employed DO NOT VOLUNTARILY give up your job

Because I believe if you need to claim benefits you will have to wait much longer, because YOU voluntarily gave up your job

I strongly suggest going back to speak to your employer or OC health or union for advice

Carolwithane Sun 14-May-17 12:14:38

Once your ssp runs out you can claim ESA you need a fitnote from your GP confirming you're unfit for work and an SSP1 form from your employer confirming your SAP has ended. You make the claim on the phone, submit the proof and payments of £73.10 per week should begin. You then fill in a medical questionnaire and attend an assessment. After which your payment could go up or you could be found fit for work - there is an appeals process

Alternatively you can claim income support as you have a child under 5 but only if you have no other income and are a lone parent. Again it's £73.10 a week

In both cases you should also qualify for CHB and CTC

Both claims are made on 0800 055 66 88

imsodizzy Sun 14-May-17 17:17:03

Theres no way I can work atm, I'm in constant pain and some days can barely walk. I'm on a waiting list for an operation which should hopefully put me back to pretty good health where I can go back to work but not in my current role as the risks of this happening again is too high.

So do I need a sicknote again if I want to claim income support? I have the ssp1 form from my employers. I've read threads on here about how hard it is claiming esa so I'd rather skip it and claim income support as I am a lone parent with no other income so it makes no difference to me.

crocrock Sun 14-May-17 17:25:58

No you don't need a sicknote for income support. They just need to know you're a single parent and meet all the income criteria. It doesn't have sanctions regarding giving up a job like JSA does. I would just call up the income support line when your SSP runs out and make an application. They can only say no.

If you have care/mobility needs (and had them for 3+ months) you could qualify for PIP as well (it is paid separately to ESA/IS) but it involves assessments and detailed forms and evidence like ESA does. It can boost your income by quite a bit though as you get premiums added to income support so worth thinking about.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: