Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Feeling of being overcharged by providers - too afraid to negotiate

(5 Posts)
user1494578564 Fri 12-May-17 09:47:23

Hello fellow mums,

I am new to this here, so apologies if I post something which shouldn't be posted. shock

However, I have the following question...
- As many of you, I am currently a bit under financial money struggles after recently getting my little baby daughter...
- For many of my bills (e.g. phone, energy, broadband), I have the feeling I could get discounts or loyalty discounts from my existing providers. Unfortunately, I cannot switch any of them at the moment... Checked this already!

Do you sometimes call your providers to get something out of them? I am so afraid of negotiating with 'em and it's always a struggle.

Would be great if you have some cool tips for me :-) Thank you!

AnthonyPandy Fri 12-May-17 09:48:35

Why can't you switch?

UrethaFranklin Fri 12-May-17 11:39:10

I seriously doubt that any energy provider would give you a loyalty discount! As PP has already asked, why can't you switch?

user1494578564 Fri 12-May-17 13:01:01

Well, with the negotiating I didn't mean of course utility bills but more in general TV/Broadband/etc...

I can't switch cause I am still in contracts

specialsubject Fri 12-May-17 13:40:42

Energy contracts can be switched out of, there may be an exit penalty. You need to do the real sums and see what actual unit costs and standing charges are. Tariff comparison rate and estimated savings are both fabrications, use real figures.

Broadband - there may be an exit penalty, ask. I was pleasantly surprised how low my sky one was, easily wiped in a week with the new supplier. BT charge huge penalties.

Insurers will sometimes price match but only by a small amount. Just told mine where to go after a 50% premium increase.

Negotiation is otherwise a waste of breath. Loyalty is for suckers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now