Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

things i can use money on from forced sale of property before it affects my benefit

(7 Posts)
eeyoresydney Wed 26-Apr-17 17:24:33

I am on ESA and DLA, i own a flat, and im struggling to keep up with the mortgage, the flat needs a lot of work done on it which i cant afford to get done, i have no heating, and the show is broken and isnt suitable for my disability i also have skin problems so nee to have somewhere to wash which i dont have now, my socket blew i could only pay for a couple of sockets so i have electric, so i dont really have an option, if i sell it i will have more money than im allowed, however i do owe money out, i also will be going to pay for medical issues, what i need to know is what things do they allow you to use the money on, like what i have said, my daughter got me a car shes paying for it, i will give her the money to pay it off in full because she uses the car to take me places, u also want to pay debts an get a mobility scooter. please please can anyone help with what things i can yse the money for so i can work out how much i got left. or i will be forced to stay her with nothing to suit or help with my disabilities

Babyroobs Wed 26-Apr-17 17:37:30

Where will you live if you sell the flat?
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to pay debts.
If the house sale leaves you with over £16k then ESA will stop assuming it's income based ESA.
If it is contibutions based ESA then it doesn't matter how much savings you have , you can still get it.
DLA is a non means tested benefit so that won't be affected either.
However if you have a lump sum in the bank from the house sale then you obviously wouldn't be able to claim Housing benefit if you were going to rent a place to live. When your savings fall below £16k then you would get a little help.
Below £6k and full entitlement is restored.
You are allowed to spend reasonably. Obviously blowing it all on a luxury holiday wouldn't be allowed.
Contact the DWP if you have any reservations about what might be allowed.

PerkingFaintly Wed 26-Apr-17 17:45:19

I'm sorry, that sounds a difficult situation.

I'd suggest asking the Citizen's Advice Bureau or googling any specialist disability advice centre in your area (lots have closed).

Because housing is involved - finding it and then applying for housing benefit - that will involve your local council at some stage. The DWP won't be able to comment on that.

Good luck.

freshmarigold Wed 26-Apr-17 18:09:46

Have a look at a Disabled Facilities Grant to help you make changes to your home so you can continue to live there.

You can also apply for support for mortgage interest or to pay for loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home.

It's a good idea to get a full benefits check from a CAB as a pp suggested.

alltouchedout Wed 26-Apr-17 18:15:06

You should talk to a welfare rights advisor, really. You can call Scope's Disabilty Information and Advice Line on 0808 800 3333, as far as I know it's a free call.

Babyroobs Wed 26-Apr-17 18:20:07

If you are claiming income based ESA then as pp says you can claim support for mortgage interest. I think you need to have been on a qualifying benefit for around 9 months.

ComtesseDeSpair Thu 27-Apr-17 10:56:39

It sounds like you have equity in your property. You may be in a position to take out an equity adaptations loan: a number of local authorities offer them in return for a share of your property with repayment due when you sell the house rather than you needing to make loan repayments, which is obviously more feasible if you are on benefits - have a search on the website of your local authority. I'm going to assume you're in England and therefore couldn't access the Scottish Government's Help to Adapt scheme.

If you do sell then you are usually entitled to spent capital on debts and disability aids without it being considered deprivation of capital. Medical expenses for essential care are allowable (but not cosmetic work etc). The car is debatable: if it's your daughter's car and she bought it, is on the title, main driver on the insurance etc then it isn't considered a debt of yours and you would be depriving yourself of capital by paying off her car, even if she drives you about in it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: