Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

On benefits - want to buy house

(68 Posts)
keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:00:27

My boyf has asked me to move in with him

I claim housing benefit and working tax credits currently

He has asked if I wanna come in with him and buy a house with him

IF I do the house he is potentially looking at won't be livable for a little while, for what we can afford
So it will need work done but as he's in the trade it shouldn't take too long

Does anyone know or anyone from can advice me if I can do this ? As I won't be living with him straight away so I will be claiming at my flat until the house is ready to move in
But the plan is I will live there with him just not initially as it will need gutting
He won't even be there as he still lives at home

I don't want to do anything wrong but from what I've tried to goggle it says dwp use credit ref agency checks
Can't find any info on this at all

Thanks peeps

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 26-Apr-17 12:04:19

How will you afford mortgage repayments if you cannot afford to pay rent without housing benefit?

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 26-Apr-17 12:04:44

How will you afford mortgage repayments if you cannot afford to pay rent without housing benefit?

FruitCider Wed 26-Apr-17 12:06:57

1) you can't claim HB if you own a property
2) how can you afford the mortgage, for which you cannot claim HB?

DixieNormas Wed 26-Apr-17 12:09:17

Presumably because he earns enough for the mortgage.

I have no idea, maybe ring hb and ask

JennyOnAPlate Wed 26-Apr-17 12:13:56

Where are you getting the money from to buy a house with him?

AntagonyAunt Wed 26-Apr-17 12:17:14

Why don't you ask hb?

HmmOkay Wed 26-Apr-17 12:18:20

What are your circumstances at the moment, OP?

Are you in social housing? Or is it private rented? Do you have children?

Is your boyfriend thinking that you have savings for the deposit on the house? Because if you don't, you need to let him know quickly.

Will you be on the mortgage or deeds of the new house?

You need to get all of this absolutely crystal clear before you do think of going ahead.

Auspiciouspanda Wed 26-Apr-17 12:23:18

Housing benefit assessor here

As you'll be living in the property you claim housing benefit for your second property will be considered an asset which may nil qualify you based on capital amounts.

We calculate the assets into capital like this

(Market value - 10 %) - outstanding mortgage = capital amount. You can have 6k in capital without it affecting your hb amount 6k to 16k affects your claim and anything over 16 k nil qualifies you

keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:24:29

He has the deposit
He will be paying the mortgage
So I won't be paying - I will

keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:26:09

Thanks that's helpful

I could call them but it's better to get advice on here sometimes

Plus it's not set in stone
Just an enquiry

Plus I need to know about my working tax credits too

keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:26:42

I'm in private renting
I have a child
He knows I have no savings !

MelinaMercury Wed 26-Apr-17 12:27:30

If you're getting working tax credits i assume you have a regular income?

Giving up your property to move into a home owned 100% by someone else leaves you in a vulnerable position if anything were to go wrong between you as you would be homeless with no rights to anything.

ZilphasHatpin Wed 26-Apr-17 12:27:52

You're buying a house with someone you have never lived with?

mustiwearabra Wed 26-Apr-17 12:27:54

I would imagine that your working tax credits would be cut, depending on his income.

MelinaMercury Wed 26-Apr-17 12:29:49

Depending on your joint income you might be able to jointly claim working and child tax credit but there's a threshold, can't remember how much, when you won't be entitled to any benefits.

listsandbudgets Wed 26-Apr-17 12:31:14

Will your name be on the deeds? If so it will count as an asset that has to be assessed against housing benefit as explained by PP above.

If you're going to move in with him and pay rent as a lodger I suspect that technically you may not be entitled to housing benefit if you are "living as married"

If your name is not on the deeds and your situation substansially improves financially, try to ensure that it is if you start part paying the mortgage otherwise it leaves you in the vulnerable position of paying for a house you have no legal ownership over. If you split up you could end up with serious problems

DixieNormas Wed 26-Apr-17 12:32:29

If you know his income you can look at tax credits on the online calculator

blackdungarees Wed 26-Apr-17 12:35:34

I did something similar - moved in with my DH into his owned house from rented property. I agree with pp that it's risky moving in to someone's owned home as it puts you in a vulnerable position (and why I insisted on getting married before we moved in as it gives you more rights). Housing benefit was paid until the day I moved out - I didn't put any finances into the house so it wasn't relevant for my HB claim. Credit refs weren't relevant as I didn't take out any credit or join any finances with DH until I moved in. I'm not on the property deeds, it is just in DH's name.

Is your boyfriend suggesting that you go on the deeds to the house when he is buying? That might be difficult if you aren't going to be on the mortgage. And then it will affect your HB before moving in as you'd be a part owner of the property.

My tax credits were cut entirely as they assessed our household income together including his salary, which takes us over the threshold. If his salary is over £60k then child benefit gets cut too.

blueskyinmarch Wed 26-Apr-17 12:36:19

What is wrong with buying a house with someone you haven't lived with? I bought a house with my DH and also got married to him having never lived with him.

keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:36:44

How do people end up living together then ?!

I moved in with my ex after 6months ok we split but we were together 6 yrs

We've been together 2.5 yrs and now feel we wanna live together
He lives at home and yes he wants to buy? he will be buying anyway so what's the different if I didn't put my name on ?! If we split I would still end up homeless home owner or not

He has saved the deposit not me
He will be paying for mortgage and bills not me
In time - as we do plan on getting engaged then we can sort that later but it's not my savings so I shouldn't have any percentage of the house
He doesn't want me to pay anything
My wages will just be on spends as I only work part time

I know my benefits will be cut
He earns to much for us to claim
I'm not asking that

I'm asking what if it takes months for the house to be ready ?
As in I will be claiming as still living alone but my name will be on the mortgage but it won't be 50:50 as I'm not contributing
He's happy with that as I am
IF we split then I wouldn't be entitled to anything
So exact same position as I'm in now
Hopefully it will! And if years go by then I will start to contribute obviously

keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:42:16

Yes I have a regular income but only part time

Yes i suppose it's a risk but unless we live separate forever and I claim as a single person forever then I'd never know?

blackdungarees Wed 26-Apr-17 12:43:55

My name wasn't on the mortgage as DH could get a better rate than if we applied jointly.

I don't think there's any problem with moving from a rented property into your partner's owned property. But if you are on the mortgage it will be seen as a property that you own so then you won't be able to claim HB if you're still renting.

MelinaMercury Wed 26-Apr-17 12:45:59

If you have no income going into the property and your continuing to live alone it won't affect your benefits.

When you move in with him you inform them of the situation and they will be stopped.

keyboardwork Wed 26-Apr-17 12:48:54

Thank you but I know all of this

I'm asking can I buy this house with him?! That's not ready to live in atm

So he buys it, with me
Does it up
Neither of us are living in it
Empty property getting done up
I claim and live separate until the house is ready !

Anyone ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: