Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can a partner work if I claim ESA?

(10 Posts)
FoxyBingoWings Tue 25-Apr-17 14:44:14

I'm currently on ESA for health reasons. Been to tribunal and won. About 8 months into a 2 year claim.

My partner is in a terrible situation. Had her hours dropped and can't afford her flat anymore. Can't afford her bills.

To be honest we have talked a long while about her moving in anyway but I'm worried it will fuck my money up royally when i fought for it so hard.

She is on a 20 hour contract in a minimum wage job.

I've googled but can't get any concrete information.

smoothtalking Tue 25-Apr-17 15:05:36

DH works and it doesn't affect my ESA. It has to be contributions based, otherwise if it's income based then it will (if your partner works 20hrs at min wage I think you would lose all your ESA if it's contributions based). You have to check your award letter to see which one you're getting. Contributions based depends on you having paid NI contributions in the previous two tax years.

You might be entitled to PIP as well. That is always non means tested. Harder to get than ESA but you can claim both so it can boost your income quite a bit.

FoxyBingoWings Tue 25-Apr-17 16:42:10

Sorry I'm confused. If it's income based i will lose ESA. If it's contribution based I won't?

I haven't been able to work for a while so I'm pretty sure it's income based.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 25-Apr-17 16:52:32

My DH claims ESA and PIP, he has had to give up running our small business due to a cancer diagnosis and all th treatment, I still work though and it has not affected his claim at all.

whattheactualfudge Tue 25-Apr-17 16:57:19

You are correct in your last comment OP

FoxyBingoWings Tue 25-Apr-17 16:58:10

If he worked previously though his claim was probably contribution based.

Mine is income based as i haven't made enough NI contributions to claim that

Empireoftheclouds Tue 25-Apr-17 16:58:23

Yes if you are on income based then things will change but if it's contribution based then you will stay the samen

FoxyBingoWings Tue 25-Apr-17 16:59:20

It's income based so i will lose my money then. Shit.

ymmv Tue 25-Apr-17 17:01:37

Contributions runs for a year. Or if you're in the support group.

otherwise yes, income based so your partner will be supporting you. It's shit, sorry.

Babyroobs Tue 25-Apr-17 17:15:27

Contributions based ESA lasts for 12 months unless you are put in the support group. Do you know whether you claim income related or contributions based ?
If it is Income based then yes if your partner moves in her income will be taken into consideration.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: