Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Renting - fair wear and tear?

(11 Posts)
SAHMlikeitHOT Mon 24-Apr-17 10:50:32

Handed keys back on house. Landlady very 'anal', had clipboard and was counting window keys!!! Only real issue was small patch of carpet by one door which cat had frayed. She is selling house - wants me to buy new carpet. Reasonable? Carpet was old, faded and tired when we moved in and they said not to worry about it as it would need to be changed.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 24-Apr-17 12:16:53

She's allowed to be 'anal' it's her property.
But buy a new carpet? She's angling to keep your deposit.
I would challenge her because of the carpet's condition when you moved in.
Keeping a pet was allowed, wasn't it?

england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/damage_or_wear_and_tear

Cammysmoma Mon 24-Apr-17 12:19:13

Did you have permission to have a cat at the property? It does sound like she's trying to keep your deposit.

Would definitely challenge her over the carpet.

SAHMlikeitHOT Mon 24-Apr-17 12:38:43

Thank you for your comments. I was cross that she expected me to hang around for two hours whilst she went through her checklist! Cat was agreed to before I moved in, in that I said I don't have a cat now, but would love to have one. She said that was fine and she showed me her cat flaps. I have offered her one of my carpets from my new house (cheeky I know) but they are big enough and of similar quality.

Cammysmoma Mon 24-Apr-17 12:48:41

She has cat flaps installed already? How big is area of damage to the carpet? Did you take photos? In Scotland deposits have to be held by a deposit scheme. Is this the case where you are?

Badbadbunny Mon 24-Apr-17 13:00:19

I know hindsight is wonderful, but you should have taken photos of the carpet when you first moved in if it was already damaged then, and maybe insisted on it being replaced.

When I started to rent my office, there were various minor issues, such as a bit of damp on a wall, a few marks/dents in the walls, a stain on the carpet. I took photos and made a list of "damage" which I sent to the landlord, not in a nasty/aggressive/demanding way, but just to highlight the condition, tell him I was happy to work there in that condition, but that I wouldn't accept responsibility for that damage. By pre-empting it, we had no issues when the lease ended.

I've done the same when renting cottages/apartments on holiday. One of the first things I do is have a good look around and fire off a quick email to the owner/agent with a "snag list" of things that either don't work or are missing/damaged, saying whether there's anything I want them to do or whether I'm happy as it stands.

The sooner you bring any issues to their attention, and have evidence of it, the better. Being proactive can save so much time/hassle later.

SmellySphinx Mon 24-Apr-17 13:03:02

she showed me her cat flaps

LOL grin

SAHMlikeitHOT Mon 24-Apr-17 21:28:58

Tee hee blush

SAHMlikeitHOT Mon 24-Apr-17 21:30:49

Carpet has been lifted up by the door in one corner. I did take photos of poor carpet when I moved in, but that was four years ago and tracking them down will be tricky...

SAHMlikeitHOT Mon 24-Apr-17 21:31:33

SmellySphinx blush

Frillyhorseyknickers Mon 24-Apr-17 21:35:45

Is your deposit protected in a scheme? Legally it should be, and she will have to raise a dispute with the deposit scheme to deduct money from it.

If it isn't protected and you're in England, this is against the law and you should report her. Seriously - I'm a landlord and sham landlords get us a REALLY bad name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now