Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

ESA reassessment

(13 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:09:33

Hi, I'm just trying to fill in the ESA form for a reassessment I'm in the support group in the risk category for mental health and also have a physical condition which needs managed so it's also about risk to that as well.

I was last reassessed in Jan 2016 and placed back in SG on paper so hoping this may happen again.

Can anyone advise to any changes with the ESA. I also noticed there is a new form which seems basically he same, it does ask for an email address. I'm unsure about this as they may derive things like i am proficient using email etc.

Also is it a good idea to include my enhanced rate PIP letter- i was awarded at appeal last year. As some of the criteria there maybe linked with the risk part- in particular things like needing supervision to prepare and cook a meal. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Babyroobs Sun 23-Apr-17 10:29:18

The email address is just a way of relaying information to you quickly eg to inform you they have receive medical forms etc. I don't see the problem ?
They should know about the Pip award, but ESA and Pip are 2 separate benefits, it won't do any harm to show them the award letter but ESA will still assess you separately for ESA.

Babyroobs Sun 23-Apr-17 10:33:32

Thinking about it again, yes I would send a copy of the award letter. It might also be useful to send any reports etc form the pip appeal which detail the problems you have and how they affect you.

Babyroobs Sun 23-Apr-17 10:35:16

There is a very good support group on facebook called something like ESA/ Dla/ Pip support, and there is some very useful information on there which may be helpful to you.

LovelyBath77 Sun 23-Apr-17 10:38:40

Many thanks Babyroobs.

Becca19962014 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:03:54

The form is different. Read the questions carefully some have been removed. There's a page that states what is acceto

Becca19962014 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:09:46

Sorry. To finish above, there's a page which says what not to send and it explicitly mentions other benefits and things like hospital appointment letters. They don't ask how often you're seen anymore as its no longer relevant as people can get time off work for hospital appointments.

The criteria have narrowed a lot since you last applied.

I'm doing ESA form at the moment. Ive learnt the risk category is now very hard to qualify for as the assessment is for any type or work anywhere. So for example if you found knives triggering that wouldn't get you in support group as you could work away from knives. Losing consiousness no longer allows you to get support group. Terminal illness passports to work group, not support group. People must own and be able to use telephones (i can't do this due to disability so expect to be turned down I got a letter yesterday saying I cannot claim benefits without a telephone number).

support group criteria hasn't been updated everywhere online yet so it's not easy to find. If I have time I'll post a link.

Do you have a cpn/psychiatrist or CAB or welfare rights by you?

Becca19962014 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:14:19

The page also says not to send details of why you have other disability benefits. It's not relevant.

The covering letter on the form says it to assess for any work and most people don't need have long term limited capacity for work (work group) support group isn't usually longer than six months without reassessment.

Email isn't secure so don't give it to them as they'll email with information which shouldn't be shared via email such as address/NI number.

flowerpress Sun 23-Apr-17 13:27:46

Becca is correct they changed the criteria of the Substantial risk regulations to qualify for ESA and the support group it is now very difficult to qualify via that route and they haven't made these changes very clear. I think your last form would have been shortly before the changes.

If I were you I would get some advice from a mental health charity or CAB and try to find another way to qualify if possible as they are making it almost impossible to qualify for the benefit.

It is still worth fighting for and some hcps are sympathetic. I know that you might not be well enough to make the polls but there is still time to get a postal vote and get rid of the Tories as it's only going to get worse under them.

Best of luck flowers

LovelyBath77 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:50:34

Ok. I think I still qualify as some of the other SG things may be relevant. I have the last two ESA85A forms- the reports from when they put you in the SG, and they are basically the same. Each time i was placed in it for 18 months, as 'there is some indication in the evidence some improvement may occur in the medium term'. It says I also have significant difficulties in several areas, in addition to the risk category, then lists things like the length and severity of conditions, my care plan, medications, things like that. I understand the new way of assessing the risk category came in at the start of 2016, which was when i was reassessed, again on paper. I did read that about not including letters about other benefits, but then is said 'which does not affect you personally' and I think, with the mention of supervision / risk in the PIP enhanced care letter, that is quite specific and therefore worth including. I think I'll go ahead and if they kick me off, appeal for the SG / risk category and see what the appeals think. Conditions are life threatening physical and also severe MH (on antipsychotics,) care pan with directives and plan for emergency physical health. We'll see. Have never had a F2F for ESA in the past, but had a home visit for PIP at the start.

LovelyBath77 Sun 23-Apr-17 16:51:30

Also my Tory MP helped me with my PIP last time! So maybe might be helpful again. You never know. Thank you for your replies.

Becca19962014 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:50:52

I'm talking about the changes from March of this year, not before. Things like terminal illness (which needs your doctor to give a date by which they'll die) now qualifying only for work group not support group, things like mobility are no longer taken into account for a lot of conditions.

I hope you manage ok and I hope I haven't upset you. I'm terrified of losing mine as I have no medical professionals anymore due to service cuts so no care plan or anything like that anymore, despite being on daily medication pick up and seizures several times a week I can't get help.

They're doing face to face now for support group - it's very rare to get it without so be aware of that.

My MP (not Tory) won't help with disability benefits. I guess it depends who your MP is after June.

I can't find the link I mentioned.

Sorry if this is jumbled am struggling today.

LovelyBath77 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:09:10

That's OK. It's not the end of the world if they kick me off. I checked and, as the ESA is cont based it is taken into account as income for tax credits, so if that goes, then the tax credits will go up. So won;t make too much difference really.

I was given a link in another forum online, about using PIP criteria for ESA appeals (and vice versa) and that DWP do have to consider it. So it may be worth sending it. DWP can be sneaky, and I wonder if that is why they suggest not sending it. When I appealed PIP last year, they did sneaky things, like saying they had lost my successful appeal papers, so I don't trust them. At that point, they said in the appeal bundle ESA SG was a different benefit (as if to suggest to appeals that is why they hadn't considered it).

I may just see what happens and if they do ask me to go in, just leave it and stay with the PIP and tax credits. It is not worth the stress they cause sometimes. and / or appeal. I did a paper appeal with PIP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now