Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sainsbury bargains?

(7 Posts)
2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 17:08:21

When is the best time to go to Sainsbury for reduced groceries?

What is the cheapest item you got?

MongerTruffle Sat 22-Apr-17 17:12:39

Just before closing on a Sunday or the day before any day the supermarket's going to be closed.

The cheapest thing I've got is a loaf of bread for 3p.

There are usually two sections set up by the staff - one by the fruit and vegetables and one by the chilled foods.

Rainybo Sat 22-Apr-17 17:44:36

In my Sainsbury's the yellow stickered items are spread through the store. Agree with the times MongerTruffle says, just keep an eye on the prices - sometimes they stick stuff in there with only 10p off, they must be thinking that the yellow stickers will pull people in!

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 19:25:48

That's brilliant 3p bread

Yeah I will check out the local store and maybe be blatant and ask the staff hahah late in the evening works great for me because kids will be asleep too

wrinkleseverywhere Sat 22-Apr-17 19:35:24

Our Sainsbury's doesn't tend to do this and, if they do, the reductions are minimal & rarely on essential items, e.g. a cheesecake might be reduced from £2.49 to £2.09. Occasionally, there will be a lot of something like crumpets or croissants in the bread section; occasionally some packaged fruit (still cheaper to buy it whole); sometimes so ready meals but the mark down is small. I think they have got better at stock managing.

mumonashoestring Sat 22-Apr-17 19:42:54

Asking the staff would be a good move - our local one varies depending on whether it's a weekend, weekday - the best time to go bargain-snaffling is always after a bank holiday though! They always seem to overstock for those.

The staff in our local Sainsburys who do the marking down are really friendly and helpful too, as long as you're not being grabby they'll check their trolley for you and see if there's any of what you're looking for and sticker it for you, or check if they can re-reduce it!

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 19:55:21

That's brilliant thank you so much.

Yes I will try later on in the evening and ask the staff. I am sure if I start at 8 then delay it gradually because the store is open until 10 so hopefully will be more bargains later I leave it hehe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now