Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

House buying - broker needed for insurance policies?

(5 Posts)
Bettycheese Fri 21-Apr-17 13:21:33

My Fiancé and I are in the process of purchasing our first house together after renting for a long time.

We obviously need to organise buildings and contents insurance, and will also take out life insurance as well as income protection (my Fiancé has quite a high salary and we're taking out a large mortgage).

The house we're buying is classified as a flood risk area so a lot of insurers won't do online quotes, only by phone, so will be quite time consuiming to get quotes.

Does anyone have any experience of taking out all of these different policies, and any thoughts on whether it would be easier/cheaper to go to a broker and ask them to find us deals?


FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 21-Apr-17 13:24:57

You may well find that your mortgage co can offer you a good deal. I don't mean to sound patronising but have you had a really thorough survey? A high mortgage on a flood risk is a bit of a gamble.

DrizzleHair Fri 21-Apr-17 13:25:32

I had different issues with getting my flat insured, but could find very little on the high street / via Google, even by phone.
I called a broker in the end who sorted me out quickly and very cheaply, I will always insure via brokers in the future!
I'll pm you their name...

Bettycheese Fri 21-Apr-17 13:27:57

Thank you DrizzleHair, that woul be great.

Bettycheese Fri 21-Apr-17 13:29:19

Thanks FenellaMaxwellsPony. Yes we've had a thorough survey. The house is on the very edge of an official flood risk area, but has never flooded.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: