Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Universal credit help!!

(5 Posts)
astarish Thu 20-Apr-17 20:49:36

I'm a 24 year old single mum to a 3 year old, working part time (16hours) as a receptionist. My manager today offered me a full time position (40hours) in a different role which I'd love to take.

I recently moved from tax credits to universal credit but cannot figure out if I'd be any better off working full time? Ive tried the calculator tools but getting two very different figures.

If I were to work 40 hours on £8.06 an hour, does anyone know if/what I'd be entitled to?
Rent + council tax = 500 a month

I get child benefit and don't receive any child maintenance. I wouldn't need childcare at the moment as there is a crèche at work.

I hope I don't come across as lazy, just wouldn't want to miss out on time with the little one if it wouldn't better us financially!

EMSMUM16 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:07:17

Have you tried a site called entitledto ?
If no luck i would go to get some advice from jobcentre or citizens advice before you agree to take on the new role, its a big jump in hours & you want to be sure its the right thing for you & your daughtet. Good luck.

TheAwkwardMother Sun 07-May-17 02:05:34

You probably wouldn't receive housing benefit or council tax but you would receive child tax, working tax, child benefit and your wage. I hope this helps. This is what my husband and I receive as a couple with 2 children.

TupperwareTat Sun 07-May-17 02:15:50

Try entitled to website.

You may get some help towards childcare - up to 70 or 80 percent, possibly.

TupperwareTat Sun 07-May-17 02:17:12

Sorry, just seen about the creche.

I think you would be better off, your rent & council tax is very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now