Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Advice on SPL please!

(5 Posts)
GimbleInTheWabe Thu 20-Apr-17 13:08:21

DP and I are expecting our first child together in October. I am self employed and he is currently a coffee shop manager. My job is incredibly flexible and well paid (over double what DP earns) so I am hoping that, after a few weeks post birth, I can continue with my work. I qualify for 39 weeks Maternity Allowance but not SPL but DP does qualify for SPL. DP wants to leave his job in September as he's looking to start his own business and obviously focus on our new arrival too! We were looking in to SPL last night but there's lots of confusing info out there about it. It may be worth saying that we own our flat outright so we don't have rent/mortgage to pay each month and our bills etc are only about £300 each a month.

I guess my question is: can DP qualify for SPL if he is unemployed? He has worked for the requisite amount of time (25 weeks in the last 66 or something like that) and earns over the threshold too obviously. If not, could he claim SPL from his employer and then leave almost immediately after his notice period? We weren't sure if the employer pays for the SPL or if it comes from the government. We're not trying to scrounge obviously! I would be working and paying my taxes and DP being at home with me would help facilitate me working more.

Any advice would be gratefully received. I hope I have made sense in my post but let me know if I've missed out any glaring information!

GimbleInTheWabe Thu 20-Apr-17 15:02:34

Bump! Anyone?!grin

GimbleInTheWabe Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:00

Go on... you know you want to! grin

Moanyoldcow Thu 20-Apr-17 21:38:35

A few thugs here and I'm no expert but have some experience of this:

1. I'm assuming that SPL is Shared Parental Leave.

2. If your partner starts SPL, you have to stop your Maternity Allowance.

www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leave-and-pay/overview

This covers a fair bit. Just skimming the article, it looks like your plan is possible.

96% of SPP is reclaimed from HMRC through the monthly PAYE process.

GimbleInTheWabe Thu 20-Apr-17 22:58:54

Thank you for responding MoanyOldCow!
Yes, sorry by SPL I mean Shared Parental Leave. We've been looking on acas and the gov.uk site that you linked to. I've just found it hard to get specific advise on our circumstance. I know that I'd have to stop my maternity allowance but by going back to my self-employed job I'd be able to earn more and, as I work from home, still be around 99% of the time too. So it'd be worth it financially for us.

Thanks for the info about the pay being mostly reclaimed from hmrc, that's good to know. I know it's a very new initiative so unfortunately it means that not many people know a lot about it or provide detailed info. Anyway, my detective work shall continue and thanks again for your input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now