Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits - this can't be right

(5 Posts)
isitjustme2017 Thu 20-Apr-17 11:06:37

I earn £23k and have done the online calculators which tell me I should receive around £550 per month tax credits (incl child and working).

I just called the tax credit helpline to check this and was told that as my income is over £17,900 I would only receive £58.10 per week!!!!

Please someone tell me that is a mistake????

Looiloo79 Thu 20-Apr-17 11:13:34

Depends on how many children, childcare etc. You might just miss out as you've fallen into the next salary bracket !

Havingahorridtime Thu 20-Apr-17 13:15:10

Do you have any childcare costs?
How many children do you have?
If you only have 1 or 2 children and no childcare costs then you won't get much in tax credits at all. You won't get working tax credits as your income is too high but you might get a very small amount of child tax credits and a significant amount of childcare tax credits (if you pay for childcare).

Auspiciouspanda Thu 20-Apr-17 13:25:30

I work as a housing benefit assessor and those calculators are a pain, they don't seem to be very accurate at all

isitjustme2017 Thu 20-Apr-17 13:38:52

I have 2 children and I pay childcare for both.

I just called them again, got a different person to be told the online calculator is correct!!!! This is really comforting to get different responses.

If you look at the entitlement tables on the government websites, if you earn between £20k and £25k you should get a reasonable amount.

Looks like it will be pot luck when I actually officially apply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now